• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

cabin air vent pa-18

farm_boy252

Norman wells, NT
Hello,

Can someone please post some pictures of their super cub cabin air vent (on top of cowl/in front of windscreen) both open and closed? I want to see what type of gasket people have used or made.

I'm a new pa18 owner and the lack of a gasket there cost me a com radio :cry: water leaked in through the vent and that was the end of that.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Can someone please post some pictures of their super cub cabin air vent (on top of cowl/in front of windscreen) both open and closed? I want to see what type of gasket people have used or made.

I'm a new pa18 owner and the lack of a gasket there cost me a com radio :cry: water leaked in through the vent and that was the end of that.

Thanks in advance.

Put a really big bead of silicone on the rim, thighten the door down, remove the control linkage and throw it away. It is now permanently sealed - At least it won't leak anymore. If you need a vent, the snap vents work - or slide open the window. To me, the vent (leaking water) wasn't worth the benefit of moving air.

Never had leak issues on mine and it's going back in on the rebuild along with snap vents on all four corners!

Am getting to that point myself, Snap vents, Vista vents, or the little door in window type vent that was in all tri-pacers. Without getting into a discussion about cost, which is the better in terms of keeping the cold and rain out in the winter?

Am getting to that point myself, Snap vents, Vista vents, or the little door in window type vent that was in all tri-pacers. Without getting into a discussion about cost, which is the better in terms of keeping the cold and rain out in the winter?

Duck Tape

Snap vents are the way to go. Just get a fine toothed hole saw and cut slowly. Chamfer the edges lightly with sand paper when finished. The square cut-outs and small screw holes required for the tri-pacer vents are a PITA and prone to cracking.

Last edited:
Snaps are great. I have one right over my head. Nice blast during the summer. Also one on left window triangle. Neither leak one drop of water when closed.

The frontfresh air vent has a gasket riveted between the vent and the boot cowl. I install the vents in all the rebuilds I have doone and if you tighten theknob underneath the vent it should seal fine if the gasket is in good shape.

I knew it was there but what does it do,set the stops? that vent mixes the cool air with hot below it,perfectly,piper was a smart man.OH just move radios to side wall

Back