• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Temp operating range for 0-235-C1 engine

Piper46

Lexington Park, MD
I have a 0-235-C1 motor in my 1946 PA-12. The plane has recently been rebuilt from the airframe up. No real modifications have been made to the motor other than a new prop (blade angle @ 48 inch), new oil pump, new cowlings and new oil temp gauge and bulb.
On first run up/flight since rebuild; we are seeing oil temps in the range of 220 - 245 deg. To me - this is hotter than normal. Using a temp gun - I took some ground readings - while my father had the engine running at 2000 rpm - the cylinders themselves are running 160(front cylinders) and 180(back cylinders) ,engine case - 90 to 100, oil temp - of 220 and climbing, and exhaust temp of 350 - 400 deg.
Am I off base - saying that the motor is running "abnormally" hot or is this normal operating range for that motor? This concerns me - since we are seeing these temps flying as well as on the ground. Mixture is set correctly - or to best of my knowledge and we have good oil pressure. Any advice would be appreciated.

These temps are normal. Mine runs 220 to 230 when at low level cruise. Head timps will hit over 400 climbing. Run full rich to help cool and be sure no baffle leaks. I know these temps seem high but during the summer I always see them. I run a JPI 700 and monitor everything. I have the oil alarm set at 230 and push reset often. I have the cylinder head alarm set at 450 and had to hit it once in 2500 miles, little to slow on climb out. Thottling back to 2300 usually helps keep it a little cooler.

What does it run in relation to outside air temp? I can see 245 on a 95+ degree day. I have seen a lot of O-235-C1s running oil coolers because they due tend to run a little hotter oil temp. Be sure your baffles are good and also do you have the airbox and scat hose around the oil screen housing? This willl make a difference and I have seen a lot without it.

Back