• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Yes it is horrable to have that happen!! The video i have shows motor exploding on right wing in flight and a direct right wing drop and nose straight into the ground.

Mahoney Creek Idaho today? I can’t refind the link now….
I’ll update this post if I find the link.

Attachments

• IMG_4458.jpeg
    IMG_4458.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_4459.jpeg
    IMG_4459.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 225
So I heard through the grapevine that the DC-4 literately lost an engine, as in fell off the airframe. On the video you can see an explosion before the aircraft rolls. That explosion is the fuel tank, which in turn took out the left aileron. The ailerons on the -4 are closed loop system so that took out all roll control. They didn't stand a chance after that.

RIP to the aviators that day.

--Brian

New member of the flip flop flyers.
An experienced pilot flipped a 182 after landing hot at Cougar Ranch, Idaho, around 12:30 pm. Cougar Ranch is a new-ish airport on the Middle Fork.
Fortunately, no injuries, not even bruises from the seatbelts.
We surmise the wind was flipping back and forth up and downstream, which is pretty typical after 10 am.

No fight plan. Found on a mere 2 hits from the 406 MHz ELT. While upside down, the pilot turned off the ELT, then activated his SPOT.

Turns out that is not a good plan, because the SPOT team called Custer County sheriff, who ended up calling Idaho Aeronautics. ID Aero had already heard from the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center at least an hour before. The ID Aero director knew a Husky pilot staying at Flying B, called him up, and the pilot was found walking around within 2.5 hours from the accident. It doesn’t get faster than that.

Some lessons:
  • Don’t turn off your ELT until you’re sure someone is coming for you. ID Aeronautics airplanes have DF gear, to track the 'final mile'.
  • Include that you are in an aircraft, it’s type, N-number, and color in the satellite tracker SOS message field. The satellite tracker companies deal with everything from rafters, hikers, to parents tracking their kids. The satellite tracker companies call the local sheriff, not ID Aero or the AFRCC. The local sheriff needs to know it is an aircraft.
  • It doesn't get any faster than 2.5 hours, ever. Be prepared to take care of injuries for at least 6 hours, and to stay overnight if the accident gets called out after, say, 6 hours before sunset. ID Aeronautics rarely searches after dark, even with NVG.
  • If available, hook up GPS to your ELT. Without it, the AFRCC has at best a 4 mile radius, which is a lot of area.

IMG_0811.jpeg

Last edited:
The brain does funny things in times of stress, shock and surprise.
After my headon collision my F150 was dialing 911 due to the airbags going off, and asking me if I wanted to cancel. I said ”canel” for no understandable reason. 🤷‍♂️ Go figure.

To your point about a PLB, my Inreach SOS auto text has N number, make and color, the fact that it’s an airplane and a specific request to pass ALL of the data including track info on to a “hot list” of pilots I know that would likely find me quicker than the local sheriff.
Luckily I’ve not had to test it.

Re the DC-4: There's two 15# CO2 bottles noted available in the FM. Two chances for maybe fire suppression if cowl flaps closed. That, plus an isolation control to the engine with a firewall cut for fuel/oil/hydraulics, dedicated CO2 engine zone feeds, plus an auto-feather button overhead. Airport neighbor heard them land the day before, sounded "bad" to him like atypical engine noise. The freighters (DC-4,6) come and go regularly so we know what they normally sound like. Not much time to deal with the problem, and loaded.

Gary

Back