• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help keep the magic alive

Used to go there every year in the 70’s and 80’s from Long Island and The Antique Airplane Club of Greater New York with my T-Craft, then my Modified Fleet 16B. John Schlie in his WACO UPF, Gus Genua in his WACO HKS-7 (a ZKS modified at the factory with a 300 Lycoming), John Talmage in his Travelair and too many others I can’t remember. I’ll have to search my pictures. We used to all meet up at Kobelt to connect with the guys from NJ and CT.

I was there when they had a guy (name?) who flew a Spad in WWI. Glenn, you probably know who I’m talking about.

Great memories

Last edited:
Was just up there about a month or so ago, did the certification on Brian’s new TriPlane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Used to go there every year in the 70’s and 80’s from Long Island and The Antique Airplane Club of Greater New York with my T-Craft, then my Modified Fleet 16B. John Schlie in his WACO UPF, Gus Genua in his WACO HKS-7 (a ZKS modified at the factory with a 300 Lycoming), John Talmage in his Travelair and too many others I can’t remember. I’ll have to search my pictures. We used to all meet up at Kobelt to connect with the guys from NJ and CT.

I was there when they had a guy (name?) who flew a Spad in WWI. Glenn, you probably know who I’m talking about.

Great memories

From Brian Couglin what has been flying Rotary's there for 40 years

" The old guy who flew a Spad in WW1 and frequented the Aerodrome was Arthur Raymond Brooks. His Spad is at the Smithsonian. "

Glenn

Ray Brooks! That’s him. In the 70’s the club took a bus trip to DC along with some of the NJ guys and we got a tour of the Silver Hill restoration facility. That Spad was there and I think they had not started on it yet. The old fabric was hanging off it. I remember the guide telling us they were looking for someone to make the new fabric with the proper pattern on it. According to him it was not painted on. Wings anyway. I think that is now the Garber facility.

When Cole Palen started, several of those WWI planes came from a defunct museum in Atlantic City that went bust before or during WWII. One of the founders of our club, Pete Brucia was involved somehow. He told a story about how they had to explain to the police in NYC about the machine guns mounted on what was left of the planes they had on trailers.

When Cole Palen started, several of those WWI planes came from a defunct museum in Atlantic City that went bust before or during WWII.
Didn't some of them come from Roosevelt field where the race track is now? Or somewhere else on Long Island?

Thanks Glenn. I guess I confused my sources. I believe the Atlantic City museum was the source for some WWI planes that ended up in The Smithsonian.

From Brian Couglin what has been flying Rotary's there for 40 years

" The old guy who flew a Spad in WW1 and frequented the Aerodrome was Arthur Raymond Brooks. His Spad is at the Smithsonian. "

Glenn

Yeah, but his new TriPlane has a Lycoming!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glenn

I think I know who the pilot was. The sky diver could have been one of a few guys. I didn’t think the plane was a biplane but I could be wrong. It’s a safe bet that the operation started at Spadaro’s in East Moriches. A high concentration of guys who wore t-shirts that said: “That’s a terrible idea. What time?”

Past video of Camel flying. 160hp in 1915, 9 cylinder Gnome Rotary. Cylinders and case spins but crankshaft is stationary and the motor mount. No real carb, fuel and air enter hollow crankshaft and enter combustion chamber thru ports in cylinder and exhaust thru a single valve it the center of the piston. No throttle, RPM is controlled by running on all 9 cylinders or 6 or 3 controlled by pilot controlled selector switch or blip button on top of stick that shorts out all cylinders. You can hear the difference in the video. Over 110 year old technology, amazing that it made 160hp on 9 cylinders. And it starts better then anything else on the field.
Enjoy

Glenn

Last edited:
So cool. imagine an entry in your log book for a Camel flight! Is that a Pfalz D.XII flying in formation? Notice how long the left wheel keeps rotating after take off....long after the right one stops.

So cool. imagine an entry in your log book for a Camel flight! Is that a Pfalz D.XII flying in formation? Notice how long the left wheel keeps rotating after take off....long after the right one stops.
Yes Pete the plane in the background is an Albatross. Most don't realize that von Richthofen scored most of his kills in an Albatross, not the Triplane Dr1

Never got to fly one, but have Nieport 11 with a Le Rhone rotary taxi time. To me besides the gyroscopic forces the hardest part is keeping the 2 air and fuel handles in a happy place. Also got a little Jenny with a 180hp V8 Hisso ground time.

It's a magical place to hang around

Glenn

The guy that flew the plane used to fly with us out of Stormville for the Thursday Night Club.
Were you at Stormville when a T-28 flew in with a gaggle of T-6s....and forgot to put his gear down? He had pulled the gear horn c/b because it kept going off while flying with the slow T-6s. Tore it to pieces. Did the Waco 10 end up at Rhinebeck? It was gathering dust in a hangar at Stormville.

Never saw a Waco 10 at Rhinebeck. But I got a ride in one at Brodhead. Same day a really cool dude let me fly his awesome Hatz

Glenn

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209-200248.png
    Screenshot_20240209-200248.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20240209-200311.png
    Screenshot_20240209-200311.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20240209-200332.png
    Screenshot_20240209-200332.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Don't know why that writing is in pictures? not like that in my album

Glenn

Last edited:
Were you at Stormville when a T-28 flew in with a gaggle of T-6s....and forgot to put his gear down? He had pulled the gear horn c/b because it kept going off while flying with the slow T-6s. Tore it to pieces. Did the Waco 10 end up at Rhinebeck? It was gathering dust in a hangar at Stormville.
Wasn't there when the T-28 landed gear up. When I was in NY (1979-1997) Pete had a Bird in the hangar. I don't recall a Waco 10.

Wasn't there when the T-28 landed gear up. When I was in NY (1979-1997) Pete had a Bird in the hangar. I don't recall a Waco 10.
This would have been about 1962 or 3. The Waco had Pennsylvania airlines painted on the side. That was an exciting day. A parachute jumper bounced with his chute streaming....never opened. I guess exciting was a bad choice of word.

Pete
years ago our Antique Airplane Club got a tour of Silver Hill, now the Garber Facilty. There was an unrestored Caudron in a small hangar hanging intact from the rafters. This would have been mid 70’s. May be the same one.

Thanks for the picture

Back