• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flaps on a J-3 ??

PerryB

FRIEND
Chico, CA
Does anybody know of an stc'd flap conversion for a J-3? I was thinking a J-3 with flaps,dual 12 gal. wing tanks (front solo,no nose tank) a healthy C-90 and the right prop would be a great bush basher for somebody who primarily flies alone. Yeah,I know I just invented the sport cub, but I was thinking of a fun rebuild project that could be done at a reasonable cost.

I hope you know, that in some states, and on some other sites, or maybe even this one, that you could be stripped naked, violated in some very unpleasant way, shot, dragged for a long time down a bumpy, rough road, shot again, and than yelled at for insubordination, because of what you want to do. Do you understand? Go to the blackboard and write 1000 times, I will not deface a J3, I will not deface a J3, I will not deface a J3....................................

Glenn :preach

flaps on a j-3

, i thought about putting flaps on mine when i redid the whole plane but did not, will not add anything to your takeoff and if are good at slipping with 24''s will not get you in any shorter in my opinion

You can put flaps on a J3, but first I believe you have to convert it to PA11 if I'm not mistaken. Atlee Dodge holds the STC's for both.

I have one, it's really fun. Keep yours as light as you can, and you'll have good little performer.

I like slipping a J3 too, but it can make an unsuspecting passenger a little nervous.

gb

In lieu of flaps, have you considered guerny flaps? Can be installed or removed in about 5 minutes.
JimC

Get a copy of the aircraft files for N37932 from the FAA. That J-3 was converted to a PA-11, two fuel tanks, Lyc O-235, Borer prop, Gar-aeros, 18 tail feathers, hendricks tips, Cal Center leading edge cuff and flaps on wood spar wings. Performance was superb. It would haul anything that a 18 could. I have flown it and participated in acquiring the flap STC.

I am not familiar with the Atlee Dodge STC , though I suspect that it only applies to metal spars.

I've tried big tires on an O-200 J3. They added about 30 feet to the takeoff roll.
JimC

Re: flaps on a j-3

duckhunter said:
will not add anything to your takeoff and if are good at slipping with 24''s will not get you in any shorter in my opinion

Ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhh, don't tell Jerry Burr or Matt Piatt that. :D

I flew a J-3 with flaps, extended wings, and 150 h.p. that had all the paperwork. It was my best friend's plane which unfortunately had too much breaking power which caused it to flip over. Nobody was hurt.

However, the plane was sold to NorCal as a project a few years ago and I do not know what they have done with it. You are from Northern Ca as well and it may be worth investigating.

Yes you can put flaps on a j3. You would have to do it by a field approval though. Just got done flying on this morning with an 0-200 and 12 gal nose tank and 2 13 gal wing tanks. Nice airplane. owner told me he can get it in and out of anywhere he can get his PA18-160 in and out of. He used the univair STC as a starting point. The pa-11 wing and his j3 wing are the same. (his is a 46 metal spar.) Thinking about doing the same thing my self but eliminating the 12 gal nose tank.

Keith

I fly an O-200 powered unflapped J3 with the stock 12 gallon nose tank and no wing tanks. Carrying the same light payload (165 pound pilot and about 6 gallons of gas), we flew it against a 150hp 18 with VG's and a 160hp 18 without. On average, we got off about 110 feet shorter than either of the two 18's. We were off in an average of 70 feet, they required about 185. We were about 25 feet in the air when they broke ground. No way would I add wing tanks to a J3 or remove the nose tank. We do have a removable external 10 gallon belly tank for traveling, but rarely mount it.
JimC

J3 vs 18

Jim, What elevation were you at when you did the contest? Most good flying 150 or 160 18s will do better than 185' on takeoff with that load.
I think flaps on a 3 or 11 would be great although they fly great without them. If I ever build one it will have a 18 top deck and flaps with a hot rod 0200 and a long prop. Thats just my opinion though.
Dave

Re: J3 vs 18

ag-pilot said:
I think flaps on a 3 or 11 would be great although they fly great without them. If I ever build one it will have a 18 top deck and flaps with a hot rod 0200 and a long prop. Thats just my opinion though.
Dave

After lots of indecision, that's how mine is going to be set up. going to put a C-90 in it for now tho.
Got a set of wings with flaps all ready for it, just need covering.

Maybe I'll put the original 11 wings on the Deucy.

skywagon8a said:
Get a copy of the aircraft files for N37932 from the FAA. That J-3 was converted to a PA-11, two fuel tanks, Lyc O-235, Borer prop..

Sorry to resurrect/hijack an old thread, but can you put a Borer on an o-235? I realize the bolt pattern is the same (I think) but I thought it had a smaller (Thinner) prop flange and therefore wasn't eligible for a Borer?

Thanks in advance.

Back