• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18A torque tube p/n 13742-00

airweld

Anyone know for sure what a genuine Ag model single control torque tube looks like? I've seen lots of "conversions", but does an original have a stub, only shorter, or does it not have a stub at all, eliminating the push/pull tube with the cable direct to front stub through a fairlead? Need this to get a field approval to remove rear controls ie. remove rudder pedals with cables through fairleads on sides, move brake masters up front, and eliminate rear stick. It's been done a hundred times before, but these days it has to be done like it was the first time. Thanks for your consideration.

airweld,
I have an A model cub with the single control torque tube and there is no stub at all. At the rear end of the torque tube there is a bracket which holds a fairlead for the cable to go to the front. At the front the cable is swedged to a fitting and that fitting attaches to the stick. Hopefully that makes sense. I don't see why you would need a field approval to move your brakes up to the front or even to eliminate the rear stick. I believe that would be either a minor/major alteration. For the removal of the rear stick your more or less just interchanging piper part numbers. I don't have any thoughts on removing the rudder pedals though.

Robert

akwing,
I know that more than a few standard torque tubes have been modified as you describe, so can you say with some degree of confidence that yours is original equipment? Do you know the history of your plane well? Maybe it still has a part number on it?

Please don't take this wrong. I just need to be sure when I say that this part number is configured this way, that it really is.

My understanding is that all changes need approval, either by FAA approved mfg's service info, original type certificate, supplemental type certificate, or field approval.

Thanks for the feedback.

Image0081.jpg

Image0071.jpg

airweld said:
Anyone know for sure what a genuine Ag model single control torque tube looks like? I've seen lots of "conversions", but does an original have a stub, only shorter, or does it not have a stub at all, eliminating the push/pull tube with the cable direct to front stub through a fairlead? Need this to get a field approval to remove rear controls ie. remove rudder pedals with cables through fairleads on sides, move brake masters up front, and eliminate rear stick. It's been done a hundred times before, but these days it has to be done like it was the first time. Thanks for your consideration.

Atlee has an STC to remove the rudder pedals(might be a cheaper way to go) and the A model with single control came with no push pull tube (longer cable instead). I looked at putting my brakes up front, didn't really like the final result.

Back