• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

TISHX SUSPENSION SYSTEM

And, this motivates Acme to improve on their product as well. I would like to know Acme’s thoughts on the spring rubbing on the shocks inner housing creating aluminum powder mixing in with the oil in the shock.

And, this motivates Acme to improve on their product as well. I would like to know Acme’s thoughts on the spring rubbing on the shocks inner housing creating aluminum powder mixing in with the oil in the shock.
I spoke to Matt and Goose at Acme yesterday. That is not aluminum but is the anodizing that rubs off as the parts wear/break in. There is wear and a bit of a break in and the piston never passes this area. I guess the fatter body and more weight of the TiSHX is the compromise for this wear issue only pointed out by the competition. I have been maintaining Acmes for many years and some with 1000 plus hours and have done nothing more than add nitrogen and had no issues. Yes, there is a TBO of 1500 hours where you send the shocks in, they rebuild them and send them back. There is also a lifetime performance warranty. You have an issue, they fix it for free. I have never seen that in aviation. I will be curious to see how the TiSHX does not being able to be serviced. My experience has been that there is always a little bit of seal leakage when operated and under pressure but time will tell.

I am interested in the valving issue Loni had. The valving of an Acme shock is unlimited, tell them what you want and they can valve it to meet your needs. I asked Matt about this and he said last he talked to Loni that he loved the shocks. There are also multiple spring options so the shock can be tailored to different geometries, lengths and gross weights.

It sounds like to me that Alaska Gear Company is building a shock to operate at the maximum gross weight of a Super Cub and Acme can be valved how you want it, kind of a boutique shop for shocks. I don't operate to the maximum performance of my airplane at max gross weight. I tend to operate more in the middle. At GW I am a lot more conservative with where I go and what I do but I know operators in Alaska are the opposite and probably laugh at me and my Super Cub. Anyway, it was good to talk to Matt and Goose and learn about shocks, suspension, their experience over the years. That is what I enjoy about this stuff, more and more to learn.

That’s very informative Steve. I’m glad you were able to reach out to Acme and get clarification since Acme’s design is being called into question by the competition. I have the Acme Pro’s and love them. Hard to believe anything can perform better but if there are, I welcome that as well. It sounds like TiSHX is a one and done, all size fits all shock, created to perform at gross weigh, compared to the Acme’s that can be tailor fit. I will also say that Matt, and Eric(haven’t spoken with Goose)have provided wonderful customer service before and after the sale.

Last edited:
Acme has the best customer service anyone could ever ask for IMHO. I’ve been using their suspension for nearly 1000 hrs. On two different aircraft, what a game changer!

Hmm, doesn't appear to be any gas in that shock looking at that graph. Curious what the GW, length and valving was on that Acme. Been flying with guys on Acme's for years and have never seen that rebound shown on the test video. Watching them land and no rebound is why I bought a set myself.

Hmm, doesn't appear to be any gas in that shock looking at that graph. Curious what the GW, length and valving was on that Acme. Been flying with guys on Acme's for years and have never seen that rebound shown on the test video. Watching them land and no rebound is why I bought a set myself.
Yeah, as with all comparison tests, I wonder how fair the results are when done by one of the owning entities. A third party test with input from the manufacturers for proper setup would be interesting. Someone that isn't "bros" or bought by any side.

I went and looked and this is the same graph Sean McLaughlin sent me in February and I posted in Post #26 in this thread.

Back