• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stoddard 13 gal wing tanks

wilbur

Belvidere, IL
Found a set of 13 gal stoddard aero services wing tanks for sale out of a PA-18-95 . The fellow got the model number (17) serial number (01537) and stc number (SA 88 AL) off of one of the tanks. He pulled them out of the SC years ago, and sold the airplane, so there's no mounting hardware, drawings, parts list, or paperwork with them. Tried to find stoddard with the search engine with no luck, (not good with this confuser).
Any ideas how to find info on these? And if a copy of an stc could be found, could you make the parts needed and be legal?
thanks in advance, Wilbur

If for some reason Stoddards can't help give the STC # to the FAA and tell them you are maintaining the A/C with these installed and need the paper work for Instructions for Continued Airworthiness. This puts the monkey on their back. They have the data you need to properly maintain your aircraft.

Wilbur, sorry to hear you have a set of those 13 gallon tanks.

I've dealt with them and they have some leakage problems.

They're built like the PA-12/14 tanks........galvanized steel with soldered joints......and are some leaky suckers. You can repair a leak and then you'll find another, the problem is that they're under fabric and will ruin the fabric with fuel stains from the inside out.

I wouldn't recommend using them unless you feel comfortable "repairing" them by building some up out of aluminum sheet with welded joints.

This same solution (aluminum with welded joints) has taken care of many-a-leaky PA-12/14 tank.

My opinion is to not put them in, sorry.

Dave.

Dave-
Thanks for the heads up on the tanks. Don't own them, just called on a set for sale for $500. Had never heard of them before and was looking for an experienced opinion on them. I'll keep carrying the gas can when I need the range.
Thanks, Wilbur

Back