• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need a prop for a 65 J3

a3holerman

Cape Cod
Hi,
Just got my 46 J3 delivered via truck to my home grass strip. It was an exciting day........My AI looked at the wooden prop and asked when the annual was done. It was just completed. He does not like the looks of the prop and he is a fabric and wood prop guy so I trust him. So I am need of a metal prop for a 65 hp J3. If anybody had one out there please E-Mail me at "A3HOLERMAN@AOL.COM".

Thanks,

Is it delaminated? Or does he just not like wood props? Kept varnished and covered, they last until you hit something. The Feds won't let Sensenich use lifetime fabric on the outer blades, so sometimes you get some small glitches near the brass tips.

I'd rather have a wood prop any day, but metal props are available brand new for not much more than used prices. And lots more than new wood ones - send me your old one.

It isn't delaminated anywhere we can see, The initial concern was that it has almost no varnish left on it and the wood has many darker spots. The surface is rough ( whats left of the varnish) but no nicks or dings we can see. I looked on the Senenich web site and it seems to read that any areas that require revarnishing larger that 4x4 need to be sent back to the factory. I am wondering if this is worth doing. Does anybody had an idea on what it might cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

If you do it 4x4, it will look like crap. The dark areas are typical of where water gets in, but it really only hurts when the moisture causes actual damage. Varnish it, and put an extra coat on the light blade. These things need to be varnished every ten years if they are covered; every six months if they are exposed to sun. This advice of course assumes you are experimental. A certified aircraft requires a ten thousand dollar inspection each year, including a pull test on your fabric. And new tubes each time you replace a tire. And no more field approvals. It's a Cub . . .

As I understand it anything larger than 4x4 requires it be returned to the factory for repair. It is a certified A/C ; not experimental. I am hoping that someone here will have a prop available.

That is the manufacturer's recomendation. Never seen an AD to that effect or any other FAA mandated document.

a3holerman said:
I am wondering if this is worth doing. Does anybody had an idea on what it might cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

I just had a prop done at Sensenich in FL that was erosion and water damaged restored for about $240 including shipping, came back looking like brand new.

Thanks for all the info. I am looking for a metal prop for a 65hp powered Cub. I am not at my reccords but whatever is the correct specs......I would send it to Fla for rebirbish but really don't wont the downtime.

Thanks

Tom

Steve - glad you added that. I revarnished my first prop in 1965, and have since successfully preserved many of them. I sand lightly, then brush a coat on with a brand new brush, and they always look better than when Sensenich delivered them. I have flown metal-propped Cubs, and am not impressed with the metal on a J-3. Hand-propping can be a real pain - literally! Plus, you have to get a do not solo in the front seat sign!

I have airworthy props that have overhaul tags from 1950. They are perfect!

Back