• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Jury struts

dougsappllc

Guys,
I am replacing the wings on my exp PA12. The original builder used J5 wood spar wings, without flaps. I am installing a set of PA12, extended wings with the long flaps, dodge tanks, etc. The existing wings have stock J5 wing and jury struts. Should I replace the entire jury strut assembly on both sides or just change out the rear clamps to accommodate the larger PA12 rear wing strut? also, I am assuming that the front strut is the same as a PA12 strut, is that correct? Thanks in advance for our help.

Yes, I thought of that, but was just considering my options before I place a order today I would really rather not buy a bunch of parts which I don't really need. Thought I might get some ideas about strength, and rather it was advisable even to consider moding the J5 jury strut to work on the 12 struts. Was hoping that some one of the exp 12 guys would give me an opinion. Maybe I'll get an answer after they finish with the morning cupa joe......

dougsappllc said:
Yes, I thought of that, but was just considering my options before I place a order today I would really rather not buy a bunch of parts which I don't really need. Thought I might get some ideas about strength, and rather it was advisable even to consider moding the J5 jury strut to work on the 12 struts. Was hoping that some one of the exp 12 guys would give me an opinion. Maybe I'll get an answer after they finish with the morning cupa joe......

Doug-

You can change the clamps for the wider strut. I just know how you are dealing with compound angles there and almost need to fab the jury struts while on the airplane.

Tim

use the pa-18 struts, easier, better visibility and better to tie things onto.

Usually the larger strut clamps come with the Struts. The PA18 jury struts will not work because of the dimensions, You have to make custom ones like the 18 style using streamlined tubing & 3/8 tubing Stoddards in Anchorage or Univair wil have it.

Back