• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Inertia-Reel Shoulder Harness Installation

PhillipsRC

Aurora, Colorado
Hey,

I have received some of the hardware from Cub Crafters to install thir "new-style" inertia-reel shoulder harness system in my "old-style" Super Cub. I have downloaded various documents; i.e., ACE-00-23.561-01, AC 21-34, etc., for reference.

When I purchased the Cub, there were not any shoulder harnesses installed.

It looks like my particular install meets the intent of "minor change;" however, is there any traps in signing this install off that way? Would it be that difficult to get a Field Approval for this type of install?

Thanks.

Ray

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I will check with the local FSDO.

I'm installing the hardware now, for physical protection, and will deal with the paperwork later, for legal protection. I suspect that in the event of actually needing the harness system, I would be more impressed with the hardware than the paperwork.

Take care,

Ray

Here's what the inertia-reel shoulder harness system looks like after installation:

Cub Crafter's inertia-reel shoulder harness installation - Photo 1

Cub Crafter's inertia-reel shoulder harness installation - Photo 2

Cub Crafter's inertia-reel shoulder harness installation - Photo 3

The inertia-reel shoulder harness system works well. The "pads" on the shoulder harness were added to keep from chaffing your neck if are flying in a non-collared shirt, or topless, for that matter...

Here is the link to Cub Crafter's and their inertia-reel shoulder harness system:

http://www.cubcrafters.com/services/parts_details.aspx?category=24

Ray

Greetings Ray,

For what its worth I also use the Cub Crafters brand inertia reel system, however I don't use their attachment braket because its too flimsy and can pivot the reel. Because there is only one bolt in the front portion of the bracket the whole reel seems to turn, or mis-align. As soon as the reel is mis-aligned to the shoulder straps the reel can not operate properly.
This can be caused by bumping it, or more likey pulling the straps down at an angle while trying to make them fit proper over your shoulders, and the "right" one on the right, "left" on on the left. Or catching one on your pant leg, belt, ect... when getting out of the plane.

Specifically, the [flat] 1/2 round brackets made to go around the upper bar that hold reel are flimsy, and only have one bolt that acts as a pivot point for the reel.

F.A. Dodge has some very nice (approved) brackets made specifically to hold the reel. The dodge brackets have two holes for the reel so it can't swivel...plus they are heavier duty so as to better assure proper restrain during a crash. My two cents worth........

You know what? The feds used to require a 337 or STC, but then somebody got wise and figured that folks would put shoulder harnesses in there if it were a bit easier.

It is now officially a logbook entry (for aircraft prior to 1979) and you need not do any stress analysis. The harness need only be ASME or military approved; you do not need TSO. You do not need 337 or STC.

Isn't that neat?

I have Silver Parachute 5-point harnesses in the Super D - not approved, and never will be, because the feds apparently have already approved enough others. So to be legal, I have to have this lap strap that says TSO on the tags. I have Air Force 4-pt harnesses in the Cub, and may add a crotch strap. I have used the inertial reel harnesses in the CC Cubs, and I think they suck. They would be OK with a crotch strap, to keep the lap strap from riding up to your ****les.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I do believe that the F. A. Dodge inertia-reel mounting hardware is more "substantial" than the Cub Crafter's version; however, what is now installed, is much better than what I had -- two old lap belts.

Moving on to the next project.

Thanks again.

Ray

Ray: Congratulations on your inertia reel setup. I pretty much like them, when set up right. Especially with a crotch strap.

Are you the "new feller" at Everitt? And who was your IA on this project? Not that many in your neck-o-the-plains who are Supercub knowledgeable anymore.

Thanks. cubscout

Hello cubscout,

Yes - I R the "new guy" at the Everitt Flying Club. Had the Cub out there since July. Great place to base out of; good folks.

I did the A&P work; a lot of this Super Cub thing is self-taught (flying and fixing)! Has to be that way or it wouldn't get done. Like you say, not a lot of SCs around there anymore. Please stop by to supervise!

Take care,

Ray

Back