• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Inertia Reel Shoulder harness

Helmetfire

FRIEND
Caldwell, Texas
I've ordered the attach bracket for the front seat inertia reel harness (PA18 ), but I need to know where to get the actual reel and belts??

Do I need to change the lap belts as well??

Getting tired of the stock(?) shoulder harness that is attached to the seatback. I'm only doing the front seat for now.

Thanks

Here we go again,lol, here's what I think is the interp. of the regs and 43.13. I read a letter from the FAA that explained if your aircraft didn't have shoulder harness installed when made and you don't alter the airframe itself ,you can install any inertia reel and shoulder harness. I wouldn't push this to uncertified belts. There are reels for around 75.00 that I'm told work just fine. It's also my understanding that if your aircraft had shoulder harness installed (see your TCDS ) you would need a STC to alter the belts. The FAA it seems would rather see you enhance your safety.

Thanks for your reply, but you didn't answer my question. I just need to source a harness reel and maybe some lap belts. Looking for suppliers and hopefully some part numbers that others have used and work correctly.

Ill deal with the legalities on my end, rather than wait for an inconclusive 27 post thread to fizzle! Thanks!

Your right I didn't ans. your question. Go to aircraft spruce and buy a set of seat belts and shoulder harness that will fit your aircraft- there are measurement in the cat. Inertia reels can be had from suppliers for experimental aircraft..
If your current belt aren't made to fit shoulder belt hardware to fit on the male end and lock into the female end yes you will need to buy lap and shoulder. Oh , I do have a supplier for the reels , but you seem like a smart guy , research it.

?.... Oh , I do have a supplier for the reels , but you seem like a smart guy , research it.

Thats what I'm doing here, thanks again for all your help!

hotrod, thanks, the Cubcrafters setup is probably what I'll end up with, but all I really need is the shoulder part. My existing lap belts would work with that setup I think. Hopefully I can source it.

Cubdriver, I have experience with those Pacific Scientific reels in some of the helicopters I've flown. They would regularly malfunction...would rather find the AmSafe reel that works with my lap belts.

Cubdriver, I have experience with those Pacific Scientific reels in some of the helicopters I've flown. They would regularly malfunction...would rather find the AmSafe reel that works with my lap belts.

What good is any seatbelt when you crash vertically? Worked fine when my 11 did 2 cartwheels

Glenn

What good is any seatbelt when you crash vertically? Worked fine when my 11 did 2 cartwheels

Glenn

Lol, I didn't mean I have experience with them in a crash....I meant malfunction during the normal function of a harness...they would often lock up when trying to lean forward, which is normally what they are supposed to allow. Ive looked on EBay and saw quite a few of them, but they aren't compatible with my lap belts. BTW, not every helicopter crash is vertical ;-)

Lol, I didn't mean I have experience with them in a crash....I meant malfunction during the normal function of a harness...they would often lock up when trying to lean forward, which is normally what they are supposed to allow. Ive looked on EBay and saw quite a few of them, but they aren't compatible with my lap belts. BTW, not every helicopter crash is vertical ;-)

Don't tell anyone but I cut and bend the tabs that work and remove them. Then i submerge the belts i want in water and weld the tabs back together on the top half I'm using.

Glenn

While we're at it does anyone know where to replace and/or test older belts. Just bought a PA-12 sitting for a while and want to check the belts and harness. Nylon rots in the sun, so if your plane has been sitting getting a sun tan for years, a test and replace may not be a bad idea. Also nylon doesn't warn that it's rotted; it just breaks. this will only happen when you need it. BTW Wonder how they do NDT when they're testing nylon by pulling on it? Any engineers out there on this?

Last edited:
FWIW I had an inertia reel shoulder harness in my Cub and replaced it with a standard strap style. When it gets rough I like to be able to cinch the straps down tight to keep myself in place. An inertia reel won't lock down in normal turbulence and will allow the pilot to rock and roll without restraint.

FWIW I had an inertia reel shoulder harness in my Cub and replaced it with a standard strap style. When it gets rough I like to be able to cinch the straps down tight to keep myself in place. An inertia reel won't lock down in normal turbulence and will allow the pilot to rock and roll without restraint.

My PS belt is 5 point and the lap belt you can make as tight as you can pull. Is your shoulder strap over head or from the seat back?

Glenn

.....If your current belt aren't made to fit shoulder belt hardware to fit on the male end and lock into the female end yes you will need to buy lap and shoulder. Oh , I do have a supplier for the reels , but you seem like a smart guy , research it.

I installed a scrounged inertia reel in my last airplane (C150TD), and rigged a Spruce harness onto it. The harness had sewn loops at the ends of the straps, you just slipped your existing seat belts through them- no special buckle needed.

And I've done a little research on reels, Amsafe has a website but I don't know if they sell retail or to the general public. It'd be nice if you shared any better info that you might have.

I had a conversation with Jim at BAS regarding the installation of an inertia reel for the back seat in a J3. Here are the dimensions for the belt/harness/reel combinations that he sent me. His email address: jim@basinc-aeromod.com

Harness Drawing IR 4 PtA.jpg Reel Dimension 1.jpg Reel Dimension 2.jpg

Reel Dimension 3.jpg

Hope it helps

Wayne

Attachments

• Harness Drawing IR 4 PtA.jpg
    Harness Drawing IR 4 PtA.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 303
  • Reel Dimension 1.jpg
    Reel Dimension 1.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Reel Dimension 2.jpg
    Reel Dimension 2.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Reel Dimension 3.jpg
    Reel Dimension 3.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 244
go to hooker harness,get it right the first time,ya might get another chance!!
the crash that killed dale earheart was linked to a modified harness. i would also have the floor attach mod that altee dodge has, major job,how much is your life worth??

jr :smile:

If you pull the belts quick, they will lock and you keep a little forward pressure on the belts, it stays locked

IMHO Seat belts attached to the seat aren't very strong - you need them attached to the frame, like the Atlee floor mod. Also, If you attach the shoulder harness to the cross bar without the X Brace mod, then when the wings fold, the shoulder harness will come forward with them. What's more, spring supported seat bottoms don't strike me as strong enough to protect from compression in a crash. If you're prepared you won't likely need the protection. Just like helmets - OK let's not live in a padded cell, but some flying is higher risk and would seem to dictate more precaution. I've seen these things save lives.

Shoulder harnesses tied to a seat back can break your spine in a crash if the seat back is lower than your shoulders.

AC21-34.26.jpg

Attachments

• AC21-34.26.jpg
    AC21-34.26.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 303
Glenn,

Is there any possibility the just one of those reels will catch leaving the other loose? Or are they tied together? IF one caught and the other didn't your back could be twisted. I'm not sure that I care for that possibility. If that possibility exists wouldn't it be safer to use a shoulder strap which formed a Y to just one reel?

Glenn,

Is there any possibility the just one of those reels will catch leaving the other loose? Or are they tied together? IF one caught and the other didn't your back could be twisted. I'm not sure that I care for that possibility. If that possibility exists wouldn't it be safer to use a shoulder strap which formed a Y to just one reel?

Yup it could. We have quality time together, same exact reel that save me last time, I like time tested junk.

Glenn

Well I broke down and just bought the front seat harness setup from Cubcrafters. Since I work for an Aviation company I tried ordering direct from AmSafe after seeing an archived post with a part number, but they quoted me over $150 MORE than Cubcrafters...same part number. (4022-1-061-2396).

Hopefully with the info I've gathered here, I can convince my A&P to sign it off as a Minor alteration.

I was curious about that picture. Do you cross those too, or are they close enough to hold you in? If you're a little side ways would you slip out of them? Thanks.

I was curious about that picture. Do you cross those too, or are they close enough to hold you in? If you're a little side ways would you slip out of them? Thanks.

I don't cross them. My doors are open most days with me hanging half way out and never had them leave my shoulders. No neck chafe, they are comfortable enough that you forget your wearing them.

Here's my 80 year old buddy Ray and his grandson in my plane with the seatbelt on.

Glenn

Last edited:
The airline type straps come out of separate reels in the seatback about 10" apart, straight down to the buckle. Never had a problem with them. Ideally, you want the buckles that let you connect/disconnect the shoulder straps separately without unbuckling the lap/crotch straps.

Back