• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carb issue.. maybe?

From picking out the remnants of sealant in the spring grove and the minor bits around the bore... they used 737 Neutral. I've used the stuff before on my plastics manufacturing side of life and never liked the stuff. Not a single sign of it being ON the seal O/D. Not sure how that's even possible, but it is what it is. Pilobond on Thursday after a good cleaning and degrease. Starting fluid eh... probably a tractor or two around here with a can in the door.

From picking out the remnants of sealant in the spring grove and the minor bits around the bore... they used 737 Neutral. I've used the stuff before on my plastics manufacturing side of life and never liked the stuff. Not a single sign of it being ON the seal O/D. Not sure how that's even possible, but it is what it is. Pilobond on Thursday after a good cleaning and degrease. Starting fluid eh... probably a tractor or two around here with a can in the door.

Works great on the float plane sitting at the dock. You can degrease and it evaporates before Encon shows up.

Glenn

Cleaned up and Pilobonded back in today, while the engine was covered with moving blankets and the heat on under same. I have to recover an airplane tomorrow from a farm yard... but hope to get everything back together and airworthy by Monday for a test run.

Well if she doesn't start when I get everything buttoned back up.. I bought a replacement fuselage, c/w -A2B engine / bendix mags, so I'm prepared!! :smile:

Attachments

• rebel.jpg
    rebel.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 125
I've never been known to do anything half ass... ;-)

...besides, the wife's not home.... I'm free to do what I want!

that looks like more than a parts plane?

Most definitely... wings, 2000 Federals and 1800 straight floats. Floats and skis have never been on the airplane. Wings beat up a few trees.. well probably the other way around because the trees always win! :lol:

It's how I pay the bills... timing on this one couldn't have been better!

Attachments

• wingsfloatsskis.jpg
    wingsfloatsskis.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 91
A great life is getting up in the morning and wishing you were allready there a half hour ago doing the job. Looks great, Wayne. Keeps the mind strong and things in perspective.

It is Doug.. as I said the timing on this one couldn't be better. I helped a guy out that was down on his luck by taking this off his hands. He helped me out by putting another airplane in inventory. It will now allow me to sell one I've been holding onto, that I haven't been able to find the time to build the amphib floats to put under it while chasing Jen around. The guy I bought this from hopes to actually get it back.... after he gets back on track... and hopefully our timing coincides, as by the time I get it repaired and those amphibs built... that is what he really wants anyhow.

Once I figure out where I'm going to put this stuff... I can get back to mine and hopefully have her running by Monday.

I will point out at this time to avoid six more pages of guesses, this plane may have old gas in it too.! :roll:

Got the alternator swapped out yesterday and a new belt on. Cowling all back together and the prop back in place.

Fresh fuel in the wings today, drained the gascolator one last time. 5 pumps on the primer, to get rid of the air and put some fuel in the cylinders, and VROOMM. But of course it's just at the freezing mark today.

Ran it for awhile... re-torqued the prop bolts /safetied / spinner on and noted no hint of any oil leakage from the re-glued crank seal.

Supposed to be cold again on Sunday and Monday mornings.. so I'll try her again then. Maybe I'll actually get a ski flight in on my Birthday Monday.... :onfire:

Happy birthday. What is it, 39? My moms had about 36 of those now, just ask her.

Last edited:
Well I've got 2 more days to do it all again, before the Birthday flight.... but I fired her up this morning after doing all the paperwork last night. It was 20F this morning and she fired immediately. I went out and played over Georgian Bay for 1hr - 40 minutes and she ran as smooth as could be. 2300 rpm on both.. was 2275 on left and right with absolutely no differential. I think I got those mags just right, with a little help from my friends!

Voltage smooth around 13.8, so the new alternator was the cure for the voltage issues.

Popped the cowling lower doors when I got back... not a drop of oil anywhere, so the seal re-work is good!

Rain tomorrow, but Saturday Sunday are real cold mornings (-18C) and sunny. So I get another two cracks at a real cold start.

-10C / 12F this morning and she fired right up with no pre-heat of any kind. Key on.. 4 shots of prime and crank to fire.

Looks like all the wrenching has paid off... well or probably just that fresh fuel !! and I'd like to thank everyone for helping me along on this while my brain was sometimes absent.

Everything done to date is a positive in my mind. If we'd found it was just the fuel right at the start I'd still have a worn out impulse cam in the coupling, my carb wouldn't be squeaky clean and my front seal would still be leaking. Plugs are all cleaned and gapped, etc. Heck most of my May due annual is done already! :lol:

Too gusty today, but flying tomorrow on my birthday and then I'll do a compression test on #4 to see if it's starting to tow the line.

Thanks again folks !!

With preheat this morning.. fired without even hitting the primer! Enjoyed a nice 1.6 hours out cruising the ice of Georgian Bay, at 50 feet or less. Noticed my CHT and EGT's are much more even now while cruising at 2350, and a touch of mixture leaning, than they were in the summer. CHT's 325/ 345 / 328 / 340 and EGT's 1398 / 1408 / 1468 / 1457. Back in the summer I had over 100 degree hotter rear cylinders on EGT and my rear CHT's where hotter as well. Now my #2 is the hottest, but it could also be an effect of my winter "baffles".

Gonna be a long time 'till spring is all I can say...

Attachments

• gbayice2015a.jpg
    gbayice2015a.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 116
Out again today for an hour or so... checked #4 again a few minutes ago and it's back to the 74e/80 it was last May. Thanks again everyone...

With preheat this morning.. fired without even hitting the primer! Enjoyed a nice 1.6 hours out cruising the ice of Georgian Bay, at 50 feet or less. Noticed my CHT and EGT's are much more even now while cruising at 2350, and a touch of mixture leaning, than they were in the summer. CHT's 325/ 345 / 328 / 340 and EGT's 1398 / 1408 / 1468 / 1457. Back in the summer I had over 100 degree hotter rear cylinders on EGT and my rear CHT's where hotter as well. Now my #2 is the hottest, but it could also be an effect of my winter "baffles".

Gonna be a long time 'till spring is all I can say...
For my reference , what EGT readings to you get at full throttle climb out?

Sure..now you ask! If you had of done so yesterday I could have paid attention today and maybe climbed a bit more. But considering full power lasts about 30 seconds around here, at ~1600 fpm, I doubt there'd be accuracy. I have no need to go any higher than 700 feet as the minute I hit the end of my field we drop 200 feet down to the Lake. Next week of weather looks pretty iffy to get out again, but possibly Friday!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=822398614511951&l=5430041796996155120

Back