• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

a request from a teacher

ericb

Huntington, Indiana
howdy! i was referred here by a guy in Oregon state. my name is eric baker and i teach 7th grade at riverview middle school in huntington, indiana. the reason for my post is to see if any forum members might have an expired AK license plate i could have to put up in my classroom. they make excellent learning tools and the kids really enjoy them. i have a policy that if a student notices a new plate in the room and can correctly tell me which plate it is, i'll buy them a mountain dew. needless to say, they get pretty excited when a new plate arrives. so far, (over the past 2 years) i have about 30 states, but obviously not alaska. due to numerous viruses on our PC, we don't have access to the internet at home (i'm at a neighbor's house typing this msg) and i likely won't check my e-mail until aug, when school starts, so i'll post my phone number below. i'd surely appreciate any help you can give - it never ceases to amaze me how little the students know about US geography. relatively few would be able to locate a connecticut or an idaho on a map without having to look blindly first. thanks and all the best.

-eric baker
ph. 260-358-0620

He is a teacher and uses no caps...????
Hmmmm...
No wonder there are groups that want to challenge High School exit exams.......

Whoops, I am sorry if I offended anyone out there!

Sam

8)

My seventh and eighth grade instructor, Dave Schoer, was a task master when it came to geography in relation to world events. (Homer Alaska, Junior High 35 years ago.)

That knowledge came in handy a few years later when Uncle Sam insisted that I visit most of the places I had read about.

I had an old Alaska veterans plate around here someplace, I will take a look.

My eldest daughter, (B.A. University of Hawaii, Pilot, Iraq vet.) does not seem to know about the capitalization button either. Saints preserve us...

alot of people just stay relaxed and are more interested in letting the message flow....they type fast and don't feel a need to go back and correct typo's...it's not that they couldn't.... they just don't...... that's my excuse. Mark

Sam Beckett said:
He is a teacher and uses no caps...????
Hmmmm...
No wonder there are groups that want to challenge High School exit exams.......

Whoops, I am sorry if I offended anyone out there!

Sam

8)
SAM, IS ALL CAPS BETTER? YOU ARE LIKE THE NEIGHBOR THAT ONLY TALKS TO YOU WHEN HE WANTS TO COMPLAIN, INSTEAD OF SAYING HELLO. WAY TO WELCOME THE GUY.

Sam, his speelling and graymar was durn near better than most of us on this here webside...

Besides he said 7th GRADE, you don't get to use caps until you are in 9th Grade.

sj

...and I thought geography was being taught using the clothing labels from Walmart.

Pat

Ericb,
Welcome to SC.org! Whenever I see Posts:1 I like to welcome anyone new. Good luck finding your plate!

Sam, go change the oil in your J-3 or something and make yourself useful.

S.J.
Well than I am far from 9th grade as I am still only 9 years old!

That explains so much more....

Sam

8)

using CAPS takes too much time

thank you all for the warm welcome. i still have no good leads on an alaskan license plate....

i'm not tech-savvy enough for ebay, nor do i care to be. a lot of my friends swear by it but i can never seem to get properly registered, it only takes about 8 hrs and a ph.D in computer science to accomplish getting 'signed in' OK on ebay... can you tell i hate the website. and yes, i know i'm missing out on saving lots of $ by despising it.

the only time i use CAPS is when i e-mail our principal, asst principal, or superintendent... and now, when i post msgs to sambo. just kidding.

i meant to post my e-mail last week. it is:

ebaker@hccsc.k12.in.us

snail mail is

Eric Baker
7034 N. Goshen Road
Huntington, IN 46750

thanks again and take care!

-eric

Alex Clark,

I want to say a hearty and big "Thank you!" to both you and your daughter for your service to our great country. i often encourage students to consider joining one of the armed forces as the benefits are almost countless - discipline, sense of pride, training/skills, travel, plus, it always looks impressive on a resume.

-eric

Re: using CAPS takes too much time

ericb said:
thank you all for the warm welcome. i still have no good leads on an alaskan license plate....

i'm not tech-savvy enough for ebay, nor do i care to be. a lot of my friends swear by it but i can never seem to get properly registered, it only takes about 8 hrs and a ph.D in computer science to accomplish getting 'signed in' OK on ebay... can you tell i hate the website. and yes, i know i'm missing out on saving lots of $ by despising it.

the only time i use CAPS is when i e-mail our principal, asst principal, or superintendent... and now, when i post msgs to sambo. just kidding.

i meant to post my e-mail last week. it is:

ebaker@hccsc.k12.in.us

snail mail is

Eric Baker
7034 N. Goshen Road
Huntington, IN 46750

thanks again and take care!

-eric

next alaska Car I see wondering thru, montana, i'LL borrow one of their plates and send to you. come to think of it, i Think TJ is coming down to hunt this fall, i'LL just slip one of his off when he isn't looking 8)

Eric

Shoot me an email with your mailing adress and I will get one or more in the mail to you. Sorry I don't have access to any of the cool old ones.

Mark

6 short said:
...and I thought geography was being taught using the clothing labels from Walmart.

Pat

That won't work. All the kids would think everyone lives in China.

As for the caps. Its an internet thing and there is nothing wrong with it. The guy is asking for some help, not writing a book for publication.

:drinking: :lol:

eddy, et al

i have most of the western states, except New Mexico and Montana. i'm still missing (those that immediately come to mind) KS, NE, MO, MS, SC, MN, MA, CT, NH, ME, HI, TX, OK, SD, NY.

thank you. later.

-eric

hey ST2, i still need a plate from

big sky country, montana. that, new mexico, texas, and hawaii are about the only western states i'm still missing. do you have an expired MT plate in decent condition you wouldn't mind sending me? i'll put snail mail below. it'd sure be appreciated.

eric baker
7034 n. goshen rd.
huntington, IN 46750

ph. 260-358-0620

thanks, and take care.

-eric

SAMBO AND CAPS

i meant to mention, no offense taken. one of my best friends rides me all the time bec i don't use caps. i'm used to it.

by the way, did you major in Typing in college? just kidding. later, and take care.

-eric

Re: hey ST2, i still need a plate from

ericb said:
big sky country, montana. . do you have an expired MT plate in decent condition .

-eric

does it have to be expired?? :eek: I think "agpilot" has a brand new one I could probably send you :wink:

Eric, I didn't see Arkansas in your list, but thought I'd throw it out there that I have an AR license plate that I could send you. Good luck in your search!

montana and arkansas

nope, it doesn't have to be expired, so send 'er my way, please.

as far as Arkansasa goes, a former student gave me one from there last school year. talk about a sweet and kind young lady - she didn't come from much at all but remembered that 'mr. baker collects license plates' and brought me one back from her dad's, or mom's, or uncle's, etc. i bought her a case of mountain dew and you'd thought i gave her a million bucks. why is it that often those that have the least are the first ones to give the most? it's truly humbling... and inspiring at the same time.

-eric

Hello Eric

Welcome to SC.org. I don't have any license plates but just wanted to welcome you here. I was born in Huntington and still have lots of family and friends around there.

Good luck on your search!

Brian

S2D and Steve,

S2D, hey, thanks a bunch for the Montana plate. it arrived in fine fashion yesterday. my 3 yr old daughter enjoys it when a new plate arrives in the mail. i opened it in front of her like i always do and then she started asking a million questions about it and where it came from, who sent it, etc. it's a blast! i'll take it in to school next week when i head in to do some work. it'll look great displayed in the classroom. i wholeheartedly appreciate you taking the time and effort to send it my way. thank you.

steve,
you folks have a cool license plate, i like the small space shuttle in the upper left corner of it. most people up here never notice it. it reminds me of minnesota's in that way. their plate have a very small and faint canoeist right in the middle that most people miss. they always find it interesting when i point it out to them. that's another state i don't have by the way.

if i were still single, i'd likely have my home adorned with license plates on the wall, but since my wife rolls her eyes at my excitement of collecting plates, they've been relegated to the walls in my shop.

oh well, at least i can hang them in my classroom!

take care.

-eric

Hi Eric

I dug out a few old Minnesota plates I can mail to you. I also have one off a trailer I can throw in for free if you want it. It is the size of a motorcycle plate.

Cheers

Wayne

Re: S2D and Steve,

ericb said:
S2D, hey, thanks a bunch for the Montana plate. it arrived in fine fashion yesterday.
-eric

Well --- :oops: I'd like to say you're welcome, but ... :anon i usually procastinate for at least a month before I get anything done, so You may have to recheck the package and see who it really came from.
Brian

(I did see a vehicle from Alaska at the fuel pump the other day that I tried to distract long enough to get one of their plates, but no such luck.)

what could be more fun than a field trip to an older junk yard. the kind with cars. bet they would have what your looking for plus an education on where wreck cars go.

Back