Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super Cyclone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    The GDU only runs 2 axis. A third servo for yaw requires a controller.
    ref - https://vansairforce.net/community/a.../t-119555.html

"You will need either the GMC 305 autopilot control panel with the YD button, or a G3X Touch PFD which supports using the yaw damper with the touch screen autopilot control panel."

This statement was from a person in Garmin experimental support.

I assume the YD button is only displayed on the GDU AFCS GUI when a YD servo is installed. Many G3X Touch GDU GUI vary depending on installed configuration.

Post Thanks / Like

superbcubrancher

Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    ref - https://vansairforce.net/community/a.../t-119555.html

"You will need either the GMC 305 autopilot control panel with the YD button, or a G3X Touch PFD which supports using the yaw damper with the touch screen autopilot control panel."

This statement was from a person in Garmin experimental support.

I assume the YD button is only displayed on the GDU AFCS GUI when a YD servo is installed. Many G3X Touch GDU GUI vary depending on installed configuration.
    Responding to supercubrancher.
    I have an Airplanes IO520D powered 1955 C180
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a general question for the group. Building the panel have to mount the ADAHRS within one degree of three axis. Are the seat rails 0 degrees for longitudinal axis and are all the bulkheads and the firewall 90 to the longitudinal axis?
    Thanks Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercubrancher View Post
    Building the panel have to mount the ADAHRS within one degree of three axis.
    What ADAHRS is that? Garmin GSU 25 allows a huge tolerance on mounting. Any error is removed by calibration. The reference angle has to be set accurately in each axis but that does not imply the mounting itself has that restriction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to look up the answer to your question but the GMU11 and 44 have a 3* install spec., for your reference.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Installing Dynon Skyview system. Reading install manual last night and I think it said to install at less than one degree from level of three axis. Of course it was getting late, and the letters were fuzzy, it was past 7:30 pm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I would have to look up the answer to your question but the GMU11 and 44 have a 3* install spec., for your reference.
    Ok, but the GMU xx is a magnetometer not an ADAHRS. To the best of my knowledge there is no calibration procedure to correct Garmin magnetomer misalignment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a general question for the group. Building the panel have to mount the ADAHRS within one degree of three axis. Are the seat rails 0 degrees for longitudinal axis and are all the bulkheads and the firewall 90 to the longitudinal axis?
    Thanks Brian
    I don’t know what the level points are on your experimental project and I’m not sure you need to be that precise, but to that I’d find somebody who’s installed that Dynon system and discuss it. Garmin allows the ADHRS unit to be mounted in several different ways and you enter which one during initiation of the system. For the magnetometer we spin the plane in increments the instrument prescribes on a compass rose. Also very forgiving. The scary test for me was the vibration test. That one’s not forgiving and there’s little you can do other than cross fingers and hope it passes.

I presume your Dynon has component boxes other than the display? Plan your installation so that you can access the boxes and connectors. You’ll probably have some issues to chase once the system goes live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installing Dynon Skyview system. Reading install manual last night and I think it said to install at less than one degree from level of three axis. Of course it was getting late, and the letters were fuzzy, it was past 7:30 pm!
    No, you didn't imagine it. The Dynon installation requirement seems to be far more stringent than Garmin's:

Mounting requirements for the SV-ADAHRS-200:• Must be mounted within one (1) degree of parallel to all three (3) aircraft axes,• The pneumatic fittings must face toward the front of the aircraft,• The mounting tabs must be towards the bottom of the aircraft, with the label towards the top of the aircraft.

Garmin GSU 25 allows several different orientations and precise alignment is only required in one axis:

19.4.1 Mounting/Calibration Overview
    It is critical that the GSU 25 is mounted in alignment with the centerline of the aircraft. The GSU 25 must
    be mounted with the connectors aligned within 1.0 degree of either the longitudinal or lateral axis of the
    aircraft. (see Section 19.4.1 for complete requirements)
    The specification for mounting the GSU 25 such that it is level with respect to pitch/roll of the aircraft is
    not nearly as restrictive, and must only be within 30.0 degrees in each axis. In most installations, the
    GSU 25 is mounted relatively level with respect to the zero waterlines of the aircraft (e.g. longerons), even
    though it is not required (again, must only be within 30.0 degrees). (see Section 19.4.2 for complete
    requirements
    Calibrating the pitch/roll offsets is also a crucial part of the installation (see Section 35.4.7). During
    calibration, while on the ground, the aircraft must be level in both pitch/roll such that it accurately
    represents the in-cruise attitude of the aircraft. This part of the calibration determines that the displayed
    measured attitude of the GSU 25 is zero degrees in pitch/roll when the aircraft is in level, coordinated
    cruise flight. (Note that the PFD allows +/- 5 degrees of pitch offset adjustment in flight. This allows the
    pilot to adjust the pitch offset while in flight to show a correct attitude indication on the PFD, even if the
    pitch attitude was slightly off when the on the ground pitch/roll offset calibration was performed.)

I find it interesting that Garmin is able to calibrate for misalignment but Dynon is not. I have no experience with Dynon systems.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Cyclone

Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    Ok, but the GMU xx is a magnetometer not an ADAHRS. To the best of my knowledge there is no calibration procedure to correct Garmin magnetomer misalignment.
    That’s correct on both counts. I didn’t need to add that info I was reading too fast.

I know CC installs them remote but I don’t think I’ve installed one not mounted to the display.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers…
    Last edited by Farmboy; 12-04-2022 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input everyone. While we are at it does anyone have an install manual for a PS engineering PDA360EX audio panel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input everyone. While we are at it does anyone have an install manual for a PS engineering PDA360EX audio panel?
    Go directly to PS Engineering's website. Manuals are available to download.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Web, I looked there after I made the post and found what I needed.
    I put a digital level on the top of the door frame for horizontal axis and it matched the firewall for perpendicular. The seat rails do not, so I am going with top of door and firewall and the panel has about 5 degrees of tip.
    Thanks everyone and fly safe and often!
    Likes wireweinie, WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40347206-A7B9-4D6B-A7A7-7CB0D4EBC9B6.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	64448We have been working on the old Cyclone between feeding and plowing snow. Riveted up the last two side skins, got a panel cut and everything mounted in said panel, built shelves to help hold avionics behind the panel and wired everything on the panel with a lot of help from Web and Dynon support. Dismantled the panel and painted all the pieces, installed nut plates and riveted the shelves together.
    To get the panel sub structure out of the fuselage to work on, I had to remove the top of the dash, while it was out I made a defrost vent and installed and cut a strip to go underneath the dash to install nut plates to so I can screw in the windshield retainer strip.
    Used a v brace that I had for the 180H to fab a jig and built a v brace for the build.
    Oh and I swept some of the floor the the other day. If I had a melter I could melt down the aluminum shavings and have some sheet aluminum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE4B8371-71FD-42CB-AF97-C1209D796E81.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	64445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6A92C80-6D17-4C4E-B31D-F69614B2363B.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	64446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BC6C9CE-8F71-4B40-B741-BD9F5690B8A3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	64447  
    Likes Steve Pierce, 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	682F7512-BBA2-4F77-ADBB-29FEB5A8797C.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	64449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9295C411-651F-4F8A-A3B6-A6717A2AB5B3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	64450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDAC5866-95C6-42CC-8D76-123CF7734114.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	64451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7747D6C4-F27E-4AA0-A48B-B609B6120D50.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	64452
    Likes Steve Pierce, 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know the color code or name of the color of white that was used on 1955 Cessna 180?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure the early 180's, up through at least 55,
    were polished with exterior trim paint only.
    IPC shows only trim colors through 1957.

The first white is shown for 1958: "alpine white"
    CES 1054-195 or -187

1959: "snow crest white"
    CES 1054-235
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hotrod, that will give me somewhere to start.

Does anyone know if the Cessna 180/185 engine mount was set up for zero thrust line?

Thanks Brian