• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

fuselage jig

teeweed

GONE WEST
Hempstead, Texas
I am getting ready to cover a 1957 pa-18A. I am pretty sure the fuselage is straight but how do I know for sure? I bought the plane as a project that had been in storage for 20 years or more. The logs were lost, there are a few repairs which look legal that have been done on the fuselage. Are there measurements I can take? Do I need to hang the wings and rig the plane before covering? Do I need to take it to somebody that has a pa-18 jig? Thanks for any help and info. teeweed

Hi, you shouldn't need a jig if there is no major repairs to do. However you should assemble the whole airplane before you cover it. I guess things like installing the fairings and cowlings are somewhat less important but if it sure makes life easier in the long run. Put the tail on and level the fuselage then check the tail for level, and check the vertical fin in relation to the horiz. tail. Also when the tail is on measure from the bolt hole for the tail brace wire (on the horiz. stab) to the rear spar fitting, measure this from side to side. Also its a good idea to put the landing gear on and see how straight the wheels track, now would be the time to fix that if there were something wrong. Also install and rig the wings this can really save you alot of headache. if there are any bent or kinked tubes that would be a good indication that something is out of line. Just some thoughts, Ryan.

Ditto what Ryan said. Too bad he isn't down here helping us. :lol: I would use the Northland fuselage drawing and check everything. Also check the angle of incidence of the wing to fuselage. This seems to be very important to make sure you have a good flying Super Cub. Scot and Mark Warren have a jig you could check it in but a few buddies, some string, tape mesure and a smart level should get you there.

Anybody got a fuselage jig within 400 miles of STL that would be willing to do some mods on a low time 18.

agree with steve and ryan... just measure first to see if you need to look for jig....

you can do/fix anything without a jig that you can do with a jig....
it just takes allot longer to check and recheck yourself....

also with wings on measure from tail wheel spring front bolt to say rear strut attach on wings...

look for evidence of front gear fittings being shoved up...

The first thing I would check is the horizontal stabilizer travel. This could be out of limits with out any visual indicators. If it is out it needs to be fixed or you could run out of trim when your heavy. To fix it you will probably need to cut tubing. You don't have to have a jig to fix it but it is nice.

All good advice, but I guess nobody looks at when this thread started.:roll: I'd guess teeweed has made progress in the last five years.:lol: Teeweed, we need an update!!

John Scott

Its called, "Just carrying on" remember its just another day. But its actually like little refresher courses every now and then. Great.

Hmmmm Something about Teeweed rings a bell, but I don't recall it being good.

Just bought a project and am on the fence as to send it out or try tackle it here at home........would like to get all the mods done....... factory fuselage only has 37 hours TT but damage. what do you guys think it would cost to have it gone through and add float fittings? and who can, or would be best to tackle it?

From another thread....

Mark Jarvis "teeweed" Supercub enthusiast gone wes
I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, but I know that my husband [Jon] Mark Jarvis, known as "teeweed" loved this forum and was on it frequently.

Unfortunately, tragedy has struck our family. On Tuesday, April 22, 2008 Mark was killed in a motorcycle accident coming home from his hangar. He felt that all of you on this forum were his Supercub buddies and I just wanted to share this news with you.
I know that he really appreciated all of the advice, comments and chats that he had on Supercub.org over the years.

Thank you,
The Jarvis Family

Back