• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

And so it begins

Stitched up a leather boot to cover the hole in the glare shield.
IMG_7505.jpeg
Windshield installation almost complete.
IMG_7510.jpeg
Pealed the paper off the skylight.
IMG_7512.jpeg
Reinstalling the kick panels…hopefully for the last time.
IMG_7513.jpeg

The 4130 is all powder coated. The floorboards and a few interior trim pieces have an anti-chafe tape barrier between them. The screw holes in the floorboards have nylon inserts and the screws have nylon washers.

1718368756785.png

This looks substantial with a well done latching mechanism. I am curious. Carbon fiber is very strong and stiff when properly used, as it appears to be in this case. Why did you decide to use four latching locations rather than just two along the bottom? Was it "just because I wanted to."? Nothing wrong with that. I would think that with the stiffness of the door, just two along the bottom would be sufficient. Or have I missed something?

Attachments

• 1718368747509.png
    1718368747509.png
    20.8 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: bda
View attachment 106970

This looks substantial with a well done latching mechanism. I am curious. Carbon fiber is very strong and stiff when properly used, as it appears to be in this case. Why did you decide to use four latching locations rather than just two along the bottom? Was it "just because I wanted to."? Nothing wrong with that. I would think that with the stiffness of the door, just two along the bottom would be sufficient. Or have I missed something?
Two would probably have been sufficient. An engineer friend recommended two also. So it was mostly just my preference. The door is plenty stiff.

I have not been following the thread ... is the door replacing "structure"? tubes?
looks really nice!

I have not been following the thread ... is the door replacing "structure"? tubes?
looks really nice!

Door is just filling a big hole. Structural analysis done on Solid Works by an aeronautical engineer. Fuselage beefed up to accommodate big hole. 🤞Think Maule or Bearhawk…bigger hole on those.

looks really nice!
cfc117b5-d4d3-42d0-b4ea-c7eafb029088-jpg.47942

He moved the upper longeron to the top of the fuselage. I wondered the same thing.

Back