• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Acme black ops

I was out today trying to find rough places to land to really test the Black Ops Gen 4. I can not believe the difference these shocks make, a total game changer. If you have an old shock system do not follow a guy around that has the Gen 4's or you may be sorry, you may even wreck your airplane. I hit stuff that I think this is going to be bad and I don't even feel it.

I recently became aware that my Acme are Black Ops Gen 3 not 4

Last edited:
Spot on Greg, exact thing here in Maine. Im testing out a 6 in extended gear with new Gen 4 black ops on the CarbonCub.Big difference from the gen 3. A lot of stuff you dont even feel now. I was into some rough stuff yesterday, then a bunch of STOL practice, dropped it in numerous times from a couple feet, its a non event. Ive not flown the TK1, but cant imagine they could work better than these. Well done Acme
Jim

So what is the difference between Gen3 and Gen4? I thought the only difference was the STC? And are you using Acme's new gear legs?

Gen 4 is the pro series, they have more travel and some
Different internals, geared more towards lighter weight flying and stol contest type stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Went on their (Acme's) website and didn't see anything, but I do now see the pro series even though they have not uploaded information about the pro series.

Good thing I have Gen3 as I'm certainly not a Pro.

So what is the difference between Gen3 and Gen4? I thought the only difference was the STC? And are you using Acme's new gear legs?

Yes I bought a set of 6x3 Acme HD gear and a new pair of Gen 4 shocks thru Smiling Toms Cub parts and sales. So far they have been awesome. Acme is sending me a shorter Heim joint and reinforce sleeve because I feel it doesn’t have quite enough positive camber. Acme has been awesome. The only thing I have noticed is I think the powder coat is quite brittle I have some rock chips from the past 3 weeks ok bushwheels But the places I was in would probably do the same thing to painted gear . They are very well built, with a removable axle
I don’t have many good pix and the gear is in my dads car headed to FL and I am headed there Friday on Amphibs. Acme website has some good pix of the gear, I think mine show in the pixs

jim

Attachments

• 93863DA4-9493-44CB-A5F7-D264CA202357.jpg
    93863DA4-9493-44CB-A5F7-D264CA202357.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 310
Dang, sharp looking plane there.

You probably know this trick for rock chips on the gear, but I have applied the 3M clear auto protective film to my gear and leading edge of the horizontal stab. My poor stab was getting beat up.

Another update from Acme Aero today, looks like we'll be seeing the STC approved this year.

"This is Mike Harvey with Acme Aero, I wanted to quickly reach out and introduce myself and provide a quick update on our STC for the Black Ops suspension, Stinger tail wheel, and Heavy Duty gear legs.

Barring any unforeseen delays, we are currently planning to begin accepting pre-orders for our certified line of products at Sun 'n Fun this spring.

As we proceed with the final steps of the STC process, I will be sure to keep you in up to date with any further information as it comes available. In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding any of our products, please don't hesitate to reach out, I'll be happy to help."

Saw Greg's video on the Acme Shocks today. What's the story on the STC for PA-18s? FAA get their round-tuit?

It is still going down the pipe according to the conference call I had a while back with some of the main players.

I talked to Eric a week ago. Not much news. The testing is all complete. It's in the government's hands which seems less than reassuring. Could be tomorrow or a year from now.

Sent from my SM-G986U using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I talked to a pilot this weekend at Lake Ridge that had been done to their strip, and he said it will be coming through soon. I'm guessing that means sometime this year?!?

One of the last tests that I’m not sure if they ended up having to come back and do or not was to load a cub to 3-4000lbs and let it sit for a certain period of time. Maybe that was the snow test. Make it stop!

Does anyone have any new info as to STC approval? I'll call ACME today or tomorrow otherwise and will update everyone with what I'm told.

I talked to them at Arkanstol. Erick is just as frustrated as everyone else. Another meeting with the FAA had just happened not long ago. A lot of the delay is the fact that 13 or so STCs are being done at the same time. Be patient as they will get the deal done. They have too much invested not too.

80K+ IRS agents which should actually be 80K+ FAA employees to get things caught up and going fast track safety items like the shocks for aircraft.

Some guys might be as scared of 80k new FAA employees as they are of 80k new IRS agents;-)

I'm rooting for Acme and their approval, especially since I've had a deposit in with them forever now in hopes I get a set as soon as they're certified.

Not to hijack the thread, but anyone have any info on this Airframes project supposedly in the works. I've heard or seen nothing about them, other than stumbling across the page with info on their website. https://www.airframesalaska.com/PA-18-STOL-Shocks-p/stolshocks.htm Maybe these are 1 of the 13 STC's in the works.

I'm rooting for Acme and their approval, especially since I've had a deposit in with them forever now in hopes I get a set as soon as they're certified.

Not to hijack the thread, but anyone have any info on this Airframes project supposedly in the works. I've heard or seen nothing about them, other than stumbling across the page with info on their website. https://www.airframesalaska.com/PA-18-STOL-Shocks-p/stolshocks.htm Maybe these are 1 of the 13 STC's in the works.

I didn't know this was a thing. How did you go about putting a deposit in with them?

Back