• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Acme black ops

I just got off the phone with Justin (I think) at Acme Aero. He said they just finished all the testing with the FAA in Oregon for their Black Ops and Stinger suspension systems. They are anticipating STC approval by the end of April and have manufactured 1500 sets of gear in anticipation of high demand once the STC is official. He said they will announce the STC on their website, all social media and also shouting from the rooftops.

This is post # 23 by RaisedByWolves from three years ago. I am still waiting on a STC that was to be out 2 years before that, so I would not hold my breath.

"Talked to Matt who’s the owner. He said if the faa schedule is correct they should have the stc for the black ops 3 shocks, and tail stinger July 16. He also said tac aero will be a pma house with a program where you can send your pre stc’d shocks and they inspect/ update and leave with an stc".

DENNY

“If the faa schedule is correct” is always a big if. However, three years ago the FAA and many other government, public and private organizations’ plans were severely impacted by Covid. Heck, Charmin’s plans couldn’t even keep up with toilet paper demand. I’m not giving anybody a pass, I think the FAA could have and should have completed this long ago, but I’ll at least acknowledge that there were many factors that impacted the planned timeline.

I’m not holding my breath or claiming that the STC will be good to go in April, I’m just passing on information that I thought others would like to know. I hope it happens, but we all know the FAA does not care what any company’s timeline is.

This is post # 23 by RaisedByWolves from three years ago. I am still waiting on a STC that was to be out 2 years before that, so I would not hold my breath.

"Talked to Matt who’s the owner. He said if the faa schedule is correct they should have the stc for the black ops 3 shocks, and tail stinger July 16. He also said tac aero will be a pma house with a program where you can send your pre stc’d shocks and they inspect/ update and leave with an stc".

DENNY

Guess you've never worked with and waited on the FAA? You can get a field approval.

I just prefer to wait for the STC, whenever that happens. I’m not in a big hurry to upgrade because my mission does not really require it. It’s just something I want to do to improve my Super Cub when it’s available.

I’ve worked with and waited for the FAA at the FSDO level many times for various LOAs, ops inspections, 135.299 checks annually when I flew 135 for 4 years and other things as well. I also had to work with the FAA at Oklahoma City once as well. What I found with them was the same thing I learned in over 20 years as a Navy pilot which was that there are thousands of people in large government organizations that will say “no” because then they don’t have to do any work. If they say “yes” then there’s usually a lot of work for them to do. My job was to find that guy who would say “yes” and then do everything I could to make their job easier. Unfortunately, that’s how many government employees work. I don’t like it or think it’s right, that’s just been my experience.

I just prefer to wait for the STC, whenever that happens. I’m not in a big hurry to upgrade because my mission does not really require it. It’s just something I want to do to improve my Super Cub when it’s available.

I’ve worked with and waited for the FAA at the FSDO level many times for various LOAs, ops inspections, 135.299 checks annually when I flew 135 for 4 years and other things as well. I also had to work with the FAA at Oklahoma City once as well. What I found with them was the same thing I learned in over 20 years as a Navy pilot which was that there are thousands of people in large government organizations that will say “no” because then they don’t have to do any work. If they say “yes” then there’s usually a lot of work for them to do. My job was to find that guy who would say “yes” and then do everything I could to make their job easier. Unfortunately, that’s how many government employees work. I don’t like it or think it’s right, that’s just been my experience.

Kinda like finding a girlfriend in Highschool 😂

Glenn

Outstanding! I was expecting April but glad it’s a few days early. I’ll be calling to order!

Does the STC require safety cables?

I would be very surprised if it did. Safety cables are not required with bungees, bungees with hydrasorbs, or AOSS. Acme recommends safety cables with the experimental Black Ops but I suspect this is more of a CYA than a belief these shocks are more likely to fail than the alternatives.

If you do run safety cables pay attention to how the upper cables are attached at the gear fitting not the Cabane Vee fitting.
DENNY

Field report here. Just installed them on my cub. They are sweet. Can drop the plane from 3 feet with no bounce and soft landing. Rough grass strips feel like your on blacktop. No rattle in the gear anymore. Definitely worth it.

Mine should be here next week. Went from bungees to AOSS on my old Super Cub. Will be replacing my AOSS on my new Super Cub with the Acme's These guys I fly with are a bad influence.

Field report here. Just installed them on my cub. They are sweet. Can drop the plane from 3 feet with no bounce and soft landing. Rough grass strips feel like your on blacktop. No rattle in the gear anymore. Definitely worth it.

you are influencing me to spend my all my tax refund :)

Unfortunately seems tough to get a hold of them they must be busy. Called them once and they answered right away which was great. Have since tried to get in touch and sent an email and haven't gotten a response yet. Given it's only been 2-3 days. Sounded like they were 4-6 weeks out on shocks the first time I called.

I think it took me 3 months to get my shocks. After they build them to your specks they send them to some place in Oregon to get some sort of stamp of approval and then they come to you. Be patient it is worth the wait.

Back