• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Favorite Cessna 180/185 Jack Pad

Couldn't get in touch with anyone for the av jack so I built some. Will lift a 600-6 off a 180 and put a 31 on. Works great on 206's too. I've got four made. Powder coated too.
b505e4bef19b7e7c81ff15500b118043.jpg

78d189e1210d0b4479fe3f907e0cfd76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you make a knock-off of their model to?

I think Vern has a patent on the design. I'm pretty sure it's not even acceptable to copy them for your own use.
I'm not a patent attorney, but I have talked to patent attorneys about competitors copying equipment that I designed.
Might want to be careful.

You think he might? Nice job on the "New Design" ;)

I'm not a paten lawyer, but having paid one before... I can see so many reasons that would make it very difficult to receive a paten certificate... What's so special about a lever that is actuated but an undercarriage on wheels, be it manual, hydraulic, or electric? And even if you got it, you still have to go to trial and see what the court thinks... To me (and I mean no offence to any lawyers out there... you serve us all selfishly with your deeds :)) a lawyer is like a hammer sales man, all problems look like nails... 8)

Happy holidays!!!

Our patent attorney told me that not only can't you sell it, you can't build it for your own use.
He enlightened me after I said, "Well, it keeps me from building it and selling it, but it doesn't keep me from building one for myself."
The same attorney told me that really nobody had invented anything in a really long time, people just rearrange things.
I know a guy who has a patent for putting casters under a surface grinder. He didn't invent grinders, he didn't invent casters and he certainly wasn't the first to put casters under a surface grinder, but he has a patent.
The only thing special about Vern's gizmo is that people are still having airplanes fall off other gizmos.
It's just an actuated lever on an undercarriage that keeps a Cessna from falling over, that apparently wasn't thought of before.
I bought one and gave it to a buddy with a Cessna because some of the other stuff is scary.

Does the Abjack work on uneven surfaces or soft stuff?

Ddoes it scrape the paint on the bottom of the gear leg?

I didnt watch the video, but I think I see these two issues.

I dont wanna get sued for using the name of the contrivance, so I spelled it wrong!

I got their phone number off the Av-Jack website and called and ordered one today. Just got my shipping confirmation. Talked to Vern about his Super Cub adapter as well. Looks like a way better way of lifting Cessna's and Cubs than the way I have been doing it. My Bogert jack for the Cub is scary and not everyone has lifting rings which is my preferred method of jacking. Had an employee drop a C180 once with the seat on a table under the wing. Not a simple fix. I think the Av-Jack will me a nice addition to my tool and equipment collection.

Does the Abjack work on uneven surfaces or soft stuff?

Ddoes it scrape the paint on the bottom of the gear leg?

I didnt watch the video, but I think I see these two issues.

I dont wanna get sued for using the name of the contrivance, so I spelled it wrong!

Smooth surface isn't a problem for me. I will have to see how it will work but I have some pretty good rubber I use under my other jack pads to address the paint scratching.

You were considering one of those jack pads for a smooth floor hangar? Nobody uses those things inside hangars, do they? Whatcha gonna use when some Skywagon driver needs you to fix a flat in the real world?

I think Vern has a patent on the design. I'm pretty sure it's not even acceptable to copy them for your own use.
I'm not a patent attorney, but I have talked to patent attorneys about competitors copying equipment that I designed.
Might want to be careful.

i didn't see any mention of a patent on website....

You were considering one of those jack pads for a smooth floor hangar? Nobody uses those things inside hangars, do they? Whatcha gonna use when some Skywagon driver needs you to fix a flat in the real world?

The re same floor jack and jack pad I have been using for 20 plus years.

Throw down some 3/4 ply in the real world.

Wish I had seen the av jack before. Using a handyman with a tapered steel leg lift was almost tragic. Ended up duct taping towels around the top of the jack in case the plane started to get away and want to impale itself.

Last edited:
I did the Handyman and gear leg fixture thing for more than a few years. It's always a bad idea but particularly bad on ice, in mud, with big tires, etc. My plane fell off an extended Handyman on a calm day on flat gravel at Lake Hood Strip. I got away with a lot of stupid lifts and got bit on an easy one. Never again. The gear box jack has been a much better solution and at about $75 all in it's a cheap solution.

That Avjack does look cool but the contact patch is small. I'll wait for real world pireps. A friend made me my own key for his boom truck but jacking under the gear box is so simple and stable its faster and easier to use the jack. I like better so if the Avjack really proves better I'll be interested.

How do you guys using strap slings and engine hoists not booger up the brake and hydraulic lines?

Last edited:
I've got a couple home-made jack adapters which I use with a bottle jack or floor jack.
I saw Tom Anderson had one of Vern's Avjacks at his booth at the Puyallup aviation show last year,
looked like a well-thought-out and well-built piece of equipment.
But at $495 it's kinda spendy to buy for the once or twice a year I'd need it.
I think that of all the lifting set-ups discussed here,
a $175 Harbor Freight engine hoist with a gear-leg choker probably gives the most bang for the buck.
Can be used for a lot of other jobs too.

Last edited:
AvJack wont work for jacking a ski or wheelski equipped plane, and maybe not a Garaero or 10x10 equipped cessna. I just watched the video and think its slick, but not for my applications

How do you guys using strap slings and engine hoists not booger up the brake and hydraulic lines?

Look carefully at the photos in post 16 and 25. The brake line is not a problem usually and it can be unclipped to get some space if it is. Some of the old brds around here have zip ties holding the line to the gear leg anyway. Snip. jrh

Thanks for the below. Bought the 2-ton engine hoist from Tractor Supply for $230 and a $30 certified 4' 6,000 lbs. strap. Works great!
J

+1 for the engine hoist and strap method. We just use a 1.5" wide strap wrapped around the gear leg.
31823412512_6d30a45724_o.png

31131324124_454523da97_o.jpg

Looks like a slick wet-up.
I've been thinking about getting a hoist and doint it that way, instead of screwing around with gear-leg clamps, bottle / floor jacks, etc.

I'm curious as to why the cribbing under the front wheels on the hoist?

Looks like a slick wet-up.
I've been thinking about getting a hoist and doint it that way, instead of screwing around with gear-leg clamps, bottle / floor jacks, etc.

I'm curious as to why the cribbing under the front wheels on the hoist?

I was wondering that, too... Seems precarious. Then I looked at the base leg further away and it looks like the darned thing is bent!

I bought the big boy hoist http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/big-red-2-ton-engine-hoist

Back