• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Yoweeeee

Binty

South Island, New Zealand
Had a :oops: moment today which Im sure someone will get a laugh out of...

After freshly overhauling and painting my tailwheel, I was trying to get some air into the new tube (std scott 3200 tailwheel) and every time I pressed the tire inflator onto the valve stem, it moved with it, and I couldn't get any air into the valve. So I asked my 5yr old Son to give the inflator a quick squirt while I squeezed the tire from the other side to provide some back pressure on the valve stem. My son didnt quite 'blip' the trigger like I imagined he would; but gave it a good solid squirt. Before I could even blink, the tube was full and the tips of my three longest fingers were jammed between the rim and tire bead.

You can imagine the scene as I waved my hand around in agony (complete with tailwheel attached) trying desperately to find something small enough nearby to press the valve nipple in and deflate the tire. No such luck so I resorted to using the corner of my fingernail (on the good hand) and after what seemed like an eternity, the tire deflated enough for me to pull out my bright white (soon to be black) finger tips.

My Son couldn't see what all the fuss was about!

Reminds me of the time I was drilling a hole through a small piece of aluminum with a piece of wood to drill against. I found the only hole in the wood and drilled through the aluminum, wood and the side of my finger. The bit came out the other side of my finger. I had to turn the drill chuck backwards with my thumb since it wasn't a reversing drill. :oops:

Dammit, I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now I know I have a darwin shop moment coming. Haven't had one in quite a while. Time for another tetnus shot.

use hemosats to hold valve stems

I just got in an assortment of hemostats of different lengths in curved and straight configurations. I have done what RAC did but not as bad. Hemostats came in handy this weekend when I had to put a cotter key in a bolt that I only had an inspection hole to gain access.

I can visulize RAC running around with the tailwheel attached to his fingers. Ouch is right but funny. :lol:

sometimes it takes a lot of thought to pull off something really stupid...

other times it takes none at all:oops:

sort of like closing the wolf trap on your thumb:cry:

Good thing it was a newer one with stiff springs:oops:

A buddy of mine that worked for the town hwy dept had a 8' wide 2x4 sawhorse that he used to change out the sicklebar cutter blades on. They are rivited on and need to be drilled out and he would lay the cutter bar on top of the saw horse and use his body weight as the clamp while drilling out the rivits between his legs. Hot summer day so he's wearing a really short pair of cut off denim shorts. The job gets boring because there are a lot of rivits and his attention wandered one day when the drill jumped and he drilled thru his nutsack. And if you have ever tried to drill thru carpet you know that it gets tangled around the bit, same thing happened this time. His boss take's him to the local hospital and he's still holding onto the drill, and it just happens to be a teaching hospital, so to add insult to injury they bring half of the staff into his room to check out what happened before they removed the bit. The local joke was that the church choir want him to now tryout for a spot.

Glenn

Did your son learn any interesting new words,...then immediately repeat them in front of Mom ?Jim W

A buddy of mine that worked for the town hwy dept had a 8' wide 2x4 sawhorse that he used to change out the sicklebar cutter blades on. They are rivited on and need to be drilled out and he would lay the cutter bar on top of the saw horse and use his body weight as the clamp while drilling out the rivits between his legs. Hot summer day so he's wearing a really short pair of cut off denim shorts. The job gets boring because there are a lot of rivits and his attention wandered one day when the drill jumped and he drilled thru his nutsack. And if you have ever tried to drill thru carpet you know that it gets tangled around the bit, same thing happened this time. His boss take's him to the local hospital and he's still holding onto the drill, and it just happens to be a teaching hospital, so to add insult to injury they bring half of the staff into his room to check out what happened before they removed the bit. The local joke was that the church choir want him to now tryout for a spot.

Glenn

Thats Brilliant! It brings tears to my eyes! ... drilling through carpet! hahahaha

And yes Jim W, We had to have a wee father to son chat about "what happens in the shed, stays in the shed"

An old friend was putting nitrogen in a tire on a bench when he was working on the Lear Fan project. He failed to notice that the engineers had swapped the nitrogen gauge to a x10 gauge. The tire blew up and the rim went through the roof of the hanger. The escaping nitrogen shot under the skin of his forearm and blew it up like a balloon and burst the skin. Ouch! I think Glenns nutsack would still hurt more.

Ya just can't make some of this jit up...

bucketladder.jpg
doubleforklift.jpg
electricalwork.jpg
forkliftbomb.jpg
scaffold.jpg
Welding.jpg
These photos make drilling a hole into the scrotal sac seem like child's play:)

Randy

Attachments

• bucketladder.jpg
    bucketladder.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 222
  • doubleforklift.jpg
    doubleforklift.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 194
  • electricalwork.jpg
    electricalwork.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 201
  • forkliftbomb.jpg
    forkliftbomb.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 212
  • scaffold.jpg
    scaffold.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Welding.jpg
    Welding.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 209
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361936638.826190.jpg
This is the only way to fill up a tailwheel tube... The extension is for dually tires, bought it from a RV parts outlet..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361936638.826190.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361936638.826190.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 190
I didn't have near the pain some of you guys had. One time I was by myself at a plant I worked at. I needed to move a 10 or 12 foot wooden step ladder, it was brand new and pretty stiff to close up so I could move it and use it else where. Not paying much attention I reached up and grabed it and some how managed to catch both thumbs in the metal sissor parts of the ladder. So there I am holding this heavy ladder, walking around with tear's coming out of eyes it hurt so bad knowing if I drop this ladder Its gonna really hurt. Finally got it against a wall and with one foot got it to come apart enough to get my thumbs out. Not to smart.

Reminds me of my father, an electrician who was teaching me how to throw tools up to him on a pole. He said, "aim right for my head". Caught him square between the eyes.

Glenn

"A buddy of yours" huh Glenn??

I should have took photos of putting my new AeroLift up in my hangar. No injuries but our McGuyver rigging had lots of potential for bad things. Forklift and ladders involved.

Had a :oops: moment today which Im sure someone will get a laugh out of...

After freshly overhauling and painting my tailwheel, I was trying to get some air into the new tube (std scott 3200 tailwheel) and every time I pressed the tire inflator onto the valve stem, it moved with it, and I couldn't get any air into the valve. So I asked my 5yr old Son to give the inflator a quick squirt while I squeezed the tire from the other side to provide some back pressure on the valve stem. My son didnt quite 'blip' the trigger like I imagined he would; but gave it a good solid squirt. Before I could even blink, the tube was full and the tips of my three longest fingers were jammed between the rim and tire bead.

You can imagine the scene as I waved my hand around in agony (complete with tailwheel attached) trying desperately to find something small enough nearby to press the valve nipple in and deflate the tire. No such luck so I resorted to using the corner of my fingernail (on the good hand) and after what seemed like an eternity, the tire deflated enough for me to pull out my bright white (soon to be black) finger tips.

My Son couldn't see what all the fuss was about!

That is what I call and "OH NO Second". If we could have that one second over THAT is not the way we would do it the second time.
I have also found that just before I hurt myself this little voice says something like; "are YOU sure that is the way You want to proceed?"
Usually it is to late by the time I listen. VBG

when I was 18?? or so we were repainting the auditorium on the school, scaffold ran out at 30 or 40 foot, so we bailing wired on a 8 foot step ladder on top to get the rest.... the real guys building the new high school were not impressed, offered us their fork lift/man box thingy.... nothing like a few teenagers tasked with getting a job done.... OSHA would have been kinda cranky....

when I was 18?? or so we were repainting the auditorium on the school, scaffold ran out at 30 or 40 foot, so we bailing wired on a 8 foot step ladder on top to get the rest.... the real guys building the new high school were not impressed, offered us their fork lift/man box thingy.... nothing like a few teenagers tasked with getting a job done.... OSHA would have been kinda cranky....

Multiple teens working...

so what were you CAUGHT for doing to get work detail?

FYI now you can not even have a teen working on a ladder I don't think.

Multiple teens working...

so what were you CAUGHT for doing to get work detail?

FYI now you can not even have a teen working on a ladder I don't think.

no, the school always had a summer work/maintenance program for a couple students, heck I made great money back then, and the boss would take vacation to go run the fish trucks on the beach and leave me in charge :) did that for like 4 years....

I would also spend one month of it being flown across to south naknek to fix up the school there each day...

was good times :)

we'ed start at 7 am, and at night I still ran my own business...
MCS three wheeler repair till the wee hours...
click for bigger... that's the skinnier me by 100 lbs on the left.....
getting ready to ride in the Fishtival parade....

mcs.jpg

Attachments

• mcs.jpg
    mcs.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Back