• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

wing mods

kayceeWY

Kaycee WY
Hello fellas. I'm wanting some honest opinions on pa18 wing mods. I want real world experience with these mods. Not what your dads grandpa's ex wifes son thought about his buddies cub with modified wings. I have a stock wing 180hp cub with 31in bw and I spend all winter hunting coyote contracts here in Wy. Heavy, high alt, and bad air most of the time. As of right now I don't have much experience with mod wing cubs. Been flying factory wings all my life, I have flown two supercubs with mod wings, the first being some type of droop tip and I honestly couldn't see much good in this mod, just blocked view. But that was years ago. Then recently I got quite a bit of time in a cub that had the two full ribs added to the wing tip and had square Sullivan tips, it also had flaps ran inboard to fuselage and the aileron ran out to tip, this cub kinda changed my mind on modifying a cub wing. Before I was a firm believer that they had it as good as it could get with the stock wing. So now I have been looking into crosswinds kit, Dakota cubs slotted and non slotted wing etc. I really liked that cub I flew, the only other thing I was thinking might be nice is the 8ft flap that dakota has. Or does anyone know of someone in the lower 48 that has a field approval to install the big flap? I talked to xwind and they can put them on a stock wing but I would have to take cub to them. Anyhow sorry for rambling. Would like to just hear from ppl who have experience with different mods, how they like them, an what's the best bang for the buck. Thanks alot

Best thing you can do to a stock certified 180 hp cub at your alt is buy a set of Dakota slotted wings. You could probably sell your stock wings and controls for about $12-14K

Its not the cheapest way to go but it's the best performance you can get on a heavy certified cub for high alt operations. NO BS its proven performance. If you don't think you need slots then get the stock DC extended wings.

Don't extend wings without extending ailerons. In my opinion longer flaps are not as important as longer ailerons. If you want to keep your wings Call Cub Crafters and get the details on the 4 hinge aileron extended wings with composite swept (not droop) tips. You need Surface area not a LE cuff when heavy and high density ALT.

VG's on non slotted wings of course.

Jason

Last edited:
Thanks Jason. Have you flown the slotted wing? I have heard alot of good things about them, but they are hard on the pocket book by the time you figure covering them etc. But that is the route I been thinking about going but wish I could fly a cub with them first. Thanks again

I would hot-foot it over to Yakima to fly a demo aircraft. They tell me that I can do that even though I admit that a third aircraft is not in my future. I have not flown slots, but the theory is sound. If I had lots of bucks, it would be a stock 160 Cub with slots and double slot flaps.

Yup flown slots up to 2300lb gross in the DC Super-18 factory plane and on a stock cub. Also flown the extended 4 hinge aileron/stock flap wing and flown them both aggressively not just pussy footing around the patch.

Slots have a big safety margin improvement over just VG's. Like I said I would not do any wing extensions that don't extend or move the aileron out on a supercub.

All that being said I still prefer a light cub with stock wings. I use my cub like a light weight trials bike not a heavy loaded up BMW adventure touring bike.

jeroni1x500ht.jpg

BMW1200GSADVENTURE.jpg

Jason

Attachments

• jeroni1x500ht.jpg
    jeroni1x500ht.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 151
  • BMW1200GSADVENTURE.jpg
    BMW1200GSADVENTURE.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 130
Thanks a lot guys. I'm thinkin pretty hard on trying the slotted wing. But yea i love to fly light too. But in this case I can't. Always flying super low and super slow and an super aggressive. Not to mention I alway have a guy in the back with two shotguns lots of ammo and we always have to have full fuel at takeoff because of the distances we get out from any fuel. An yes I agree on the no wing extention without more aileron, roll rate isn't super impressive even on a stock wing

I'd suggest you do some serious consideration to your wind conditions. I really doubt you get to pick calm days only to do your flying.
How do those mods affect the airplane in real squirrely conditions.
VG's
Thrustline Mod and
Power Steering
May be all you really need.

Listen to Jason...

he is being modest, check who did the flight tests on the Dakota fuel system;-)

For you use, not needing to land in 150' all the time, Dakota slotted wings I bet would do you proud, and keep you out of a stall...

I had extended wings on my 180 cub, and stock on my 150 I have now, (with vg's), stock is much nicer. But roll rate was a function of alierons not being out to the tip on the old bird.

Go fly the slotted wing. It really shines in bad conditions. Better than VGs because it keeps the air stuck to all the wing rather than channels like VGs. You cross control it and it keeps flying, no surprises. Fly it, you obviously know a Cub so you can see for your self.

Thanks alot fellas. I really need to go fly a slotted wing. A friend of mine in north dakota has them on his 12, thinkin I need to make a trip up there. S2d, are the Dakota wings a lot different than stock in squirrly conditions? And yes I forgot to mention that I have vgs on my cub

kayceeWY - If you can make it over to Washington state you are welcome to fly my 180hp Dakota slotted wing cub. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks alot fellas. I really need to go fly a slotted wing. A friend of mine in north dakota has them on his 12, thinkin I need to make a trip up there. S2d, are the Dakota wings a lot different than stock in squirrly conditions? And yes I forgot to mention that I have vgs on my cub

Don't know about the slotted wings, was mainly talking about the extended wings.
Flying the 12 won't tell you anything you want to know.
If you do get the slotted wings, let us know how they work out.

If you don't have the thrustline mod, and you work the plane hard, you will be amazed at the difference if you put them on.

Thanks s2d. Yea I have been contemplating the thrustline mod too. Heard a lot of good things about it

If you don't have the thustline mod put it on it will do you the most good for the money. It gives you excellent throttle control at slow speed.I have extended wings and I dont know about slotted .

Head a little south and come visit . . . we are friendly :)

Back