• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub purchase

Mcav said:
ASOD has a sale every November. Everything is 10% off, even engines. They are the only salvage company that I know that tests the engine you by ,run it up, test oil,compression test,accessories and tell you what condition it is in before they sell it to you. Guarranty of 1year, there results. They will pick up up at the airport.

Actually that sale is tomorrow and Bill Tracy and I are going over in the morning. Just bought an IO-520 from him. He guaranteed the crank to be rebuildable and it was a fair price. Turned out standard mains and rods and its straight. I see he got the Aircraft Maintenance Technician of the Year for 2009. That is great.

To the OP....

When I bought my -12, I had about 45 hours of bootleg taildragger time on the old man's 180. Not the best plane to learn TW on. I had stopped the flying thing for quite a few years when I bought the 12, so it was kind of like learning all over again.

My 12 originally had stock wings and a 125 HP engine. It's being rebuilt with what I'll call slightly extended wingtips and, sooner or later, VG's.....as well as a whole host of other features.

What I found was that a stock PA12, without flaps, without gobs of HP, was a great way to learn to fly all over again. "Oh, that's what a stick does" "That's what a rudder does" "That's what a stall feels like" "That's a power on stall" "(quietly), I really don't like that!").

Due to job reasons, I again gave up flying for several years and hope to take it up again in the very near future. During my exile in durance vile here in Ewe-stun, to pass a BFR, I've taken a few hours in an -18 with VG's. Suffice to say that I will not fly without those again....they just offer some extra degree of something: control, authority, feel, mush, whatever.

Long way of saying, buy something as stock as you can, but certainly don't shy away from VG's. IMNSHO.

Back