• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Vortex Generator suggestions

There's at least four Micro VG's. Small that's 1" long x 1/4" tall and a larger one that's 1.5" x 3/8" tall. They come in flat and curved to match the underlying surface. There's none provided for the vertical fin of a Cub just the underlying VG's in front of the elevator gap. But if better rudder control is needed during slow flight then adding some to the fin would be a good test. Same for sealing the elevator and fin gaps like CC does.

Gary

I never paid attention before but a 206 has large VGs on the wing and stabilizers and two sizes on the fin. My 180 has large on the wing and stab and small on the fin. The Wildcat has all large on wing and under the stabilizers. Nada on the fin.

Image1555380350.180345.jpg

Image1555380379.807040.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Image1555380350.180345.jpg
    Image1555380350.180345.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Image1555380379.807040.jpg
    Image1555380379.807040.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 236
Micro kits have different placements for different models.
They all place VG's on the wing.
The kit that I put on my C150TD also placed VGs on the vertical.
Some kits (172 & 180) also place them on the bottom of the horizontal.
The MicroAero website used to have a page for each model airplane, showing VG quantity & placement--
I don't see them there now, but I did find some location-only images though.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://microaero.com/image-gallery/?smfg=Cessna&smfgid=389[/FONT]
Interesting that there's a considerable price difference on Micro's VG kits--
ragwing Pipers & 2-place Cessnas @ $695 vs 4 seat Cessna singles @ $1450.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://microaero.com/category/vg-kits/[/FONT]

Looking for source for T aluminum extrusion to fabricate VG's for experimental Cub slatted wing. Any suggestions?
Thanks;
Bob

Looking for source for T aluminum extrusion to fabricate VG's for experimental Cub slatted wing. Any suggestions?
Thanks;
Bob
Aluminum flashing from the local hardware store. Make an oak form block to match the curvature of the wing surface, allow for spring back in the bend. Cut piece to size, clamp it and block in vise, hit with mallet.

Be certain to give us a report on whether they do anything or not and how much. It is my opinion that the slats do the same thing as the VGs, so VGs are not effective on a slatted wing. Try it prove me wrong.

Recently saw an experimental Super Cub with large VG’s mounted on each side of the vertical stabilizer just ahead of the rudder hinge. Looked interesting.

Well heck.....and I just landed a couple different mountain sites half an hour ago (don't know how to post a picture direct from my cell phone, or I would), now eating breakfast in Challis, and I get A+, on what is my birthday! Best present in a long while! Another present, figured out my smart phone pic posting thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_074807005.jpg
    IMG_20200525_074807005.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Back