• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Supercub ownership without hangar?

Helopilot

Bangor, Maine
Hi All,

Relatively new member - looking for insight.

At a point in life where I can seriously consider aircraft ownership. I live in central Maine and all the weather that goes with the location. Eventually, would like to have a small hangar on a grass/ski strip, but in the interim, how realistic is it to consider purchase of a Supercub to keep outside for a year or two until I can work things out on a hanger location etc. I would like to fly it thru all seasons with floats, wheel and skis dependent on season. My concern is the fabric / maintenance / general wear and tear. I keep thinking -"hell, they do this year'round in Alaska" So, reasonable or not?

Thanks for all/any input!

Cheers!

Dave

Being homeless is no fun. If you get an airplane get her off the street as soon as you can.

Lots of aircraft live outside, and some get the annual at the tiedown:-?

They last longer, require less care, and you sleep better when a bird is inside. Buy the plane. Rent space for winter even if you have to drive a bit. Park it at the grass strip when you are going to fly it steady, and put it back inside when the forecast is bad, or you are not having time to fly.

Build/buy when you can.

My thoughts, and plan at my house!

There are several grass airfields in your area, I would suggest stopping by them and talking to the membership at the field. You never know there might be a hanger empty at one of the airfields and the owner might be willing to sublease it out. I am subleasing a hanger at Bowman Field and so far it is working out great. If you end up with an outside tie down I would suggest a windscreen and wing covers to protect against UV. Good luck and hope to see you around.

Larry

I kept airplanes outdoors for the 29 years I lived in Alaska. It's not the best setup, but don't let that keep you from owning a plane, for heaven's sake.

As to wing and windshield covers, they work well, though the coatings applied to fabric are specifically designed to prevent UV damage. Nevertheless its good to keep as much UV off as possible. That said, wing covers can do more damage in one wind event that UV will do in a decade of parking outdoors. So, if the country is at all windy, don't leave conventional wing covers on unless you're willing to run to the airport and tend the covers every time there's a wind. Some covers are better fitted than others, and therefore can tolerate more wind, but at some point, they'll all be problematic. The single exception is mesh covers, which I use in winter. But, they won't help much with UV.

Don't sweat the small stuff, go for it.

MTV

I kept airplanes outdoors for the 29 years I lived in Alaska. It's not the best setup, but don't let that keep you from owning a plane, for heaven's sake.

As to wing and windshield covers, they work well, though the coatings applied to fabric are specifically designed to prevent UV damage. Nevertheless its good to keep as much UV off as possible. That said, wing covers can do more damage in one wind event that UV will do in a decade of parking outdoors. So, if the country is at all windy, don't leave conventional wing covers on unless you're willing to run to the airport and tend the covers every time there's a wind. Some covers are better fitted than others, and therefore can tolerate more wind, but at some point, they'll all be problematic. The single exception is mesh covers, which I use in winter. But, they won't help much with UV.

Don't sweat the small stuff, go for it.

MTV
I second what Mike said. My cub lived outside in Alaska for many years. In addition to good wing covers, get a good set of gust locks for the control surfaces. Every time it snows, get out there and brush it away. Check the tie downs regularly, especially when the winds are strong. The only weather related damage I had was as a result of 100 plus mile per hour winds. Other than that - no problems. Having said that, I sure like the hangar I now have.

Me too. MyCub has been outside maybe 20 years of the fifty I have owned it. I love the hangar, but can tell you that I could easily have Rowena cover my airplane every ten years with the difference in cost between inside and outside storage. Here in sunny Socal, the real downside of outside for a Cub is the spark plugs start looking really ugly.. They seem to work even when ugly.The key, in my opinion, is to fly often. If you park a Cub outside for a year and do not fly it, it will die. If you put all kinds of covers on it, you will not want to swing by the airport for three touch and goes.Opinion.

I kept a cub outside in Alaska for a few winters. Covers plus a push broom to get the snow off work pretty well. You'll also have to preheat which you could do electrically via a Reiff or Tanis system or via a portable fuel source like the Northern Companion or maybe a Red Dragon.

As for the wind, you can also consider taping 2x4s to the rear struts to beef them up. I never did it but I saw lots that did so it must have worked! I also had a rear strut break in a severe wind storm, probably the same one mentioned above. I think Mike and I were tied down pretty close to each other then.

I'd absolutely go for it. The hour-plus you spend prepping on a winter day will make you appreciate the hanger that much more when you get it. I got my private in Maine in 1996 and know that's a great place to fly.

wow

Yes, it is realistic to tie an aircraft down outside for a year or two.
It is even realistic to tie an aircraft down outside for a year or forty. I would suggest 60%-70% (or more?) of Alaskan aircraft are tied down outside and rarely see the inside of a hangar. Somehow the old girls seem to get airborne on a pretty consistent basis.

Despite what you may have read it is also realistic to fly an aircraft without bushwheels, however, gas is required in almost all circumstances.

That said, I'd give several body parts for a hangar.

30 seconds on Google and I can see the average UV index in Maine is 50% greater than in Anchorage, Alaska. I park planes outside and doing so is the culture around here but if I was considering doing the same in a different region with a different climate I'd seek council of your peers in that region that know it's climate and conditions.

Also, I remember that air pollution will destroy organic/non-organic covering quickly. In L.A. Harbor a long time ago the shipping companies would store coal, steel scap, etc before shipping to Asia. The wind would spread it everywhere and the products would eat car paint, Sunbrella fabric, fiberglass and aluminum.

That is when I decided to sail to the South Pacifc.... Anybody ever seen the tuna factories in Pago Pago?

One of the issues here in the Midwest is hail. Usually we get at least one hail storm a year, sometimes it ain't nothing, sometimes every roofer in the country is in KC replacing roofs for insurance jobs. I have used open t's now for years which save me some money and protect against the worst of it. Be sure to check around for private airports, there might be some nearby with shade port options.

sj

Thanks to all for the replies...time to go drive around with a short list of potential grass/ski strips within the Bangor area. Guess it's all part of the research and learning curve!

Dave

Dave;

Come to Rumford, Phil Z Bushwacker fly in on Aug 12 to meet all the Maine gang. Will be more cubs there then you can imagine. I have a hangar at Dexter 1B0 if you need a spot for a couple weeks or so.

Jim

I know what my rented hanger cost every month, what I don't know is what it's saving me, you know (and these are events that have happened right here in Zion in the last 30 years) Propeller stolen, radios stolen, tail wheel stolen, kids racing cars and run into the tie down chains destroying a wing, crap blown into the sides of the fuselage by the strong south winds from advancing Low's and Micro bursts from Thunderstorms, and hail and snow accumulation damage.....but if it meant not flying if I didn't have a hanger I'd still have the airplane. Don't forget storage for all of your Treasure....tools, airplane camping gear, oil, compressor, refrigerator with an adult beverage or two and chairs for the gang to sit and reflect on what a great flight we had today!

Jim,

Will check my schedule - I was hoping for some sort of fly in I could go to snoop about and ask a load of questions. Thanks for the offer at 1B0, I've been meaning to check that place out for a few reasons. A guy I know built a sonex and hangars it Dexter and it looks like a nice field not too far from Bangor. Will keep in touch with you as a Maine contact if you don't mind.

Dave

Back