• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Siberia

LZ=H2O

Ulaanbaatar, Outer Mongolia
Has anyone out there done a trip east or west between Nome and Irkutsk? I'm flying an M-7 Maule with a full panel and it gets about 850 miles between fuel stops. I'm looking for airports along that route with at least 95 octaine fuel, I have flight handling for the permits.
Thanks

Unfortunately I can't help with any fuel info, but that sure sounds like a great trip. If you make the journey you'll need to post lots of pictures. Are you presently flying in Mongolia? It looks like an interesting place to fly.

Provedenia, I assume will be your first stop? Going to be hard to find fuel anywhere west of Nome.

Can you fab. a ferry tank? I have seen one in a maule before. Cub Kid posts here and has flown in the Russian far east a bit.

Last edited:
I like it. It's just like Montana except for Camels. I'll get some pictures when I figure out how to post them.
I did the trip from Warsaw through Moscow and Omsc in June and that was pretty good. But I didn't have to find gas.
A ferry tank sounds like a pretty good idea. I think there's probably some places though. The Russians have a lot of gasoline cars and they sell 98 octaine in here that comes from Russia.

I like it. It's just like Montana except for Camels.

Funny you should say that, because that's exactly what I thought when I traveled there about 20 years ago (hard to believe so much time has passed).

Is commercial aviation beginning to develop there?

What I heard from friends they made the trip some years ago. You need a lot of briebe money to fly out of Provedenie to AK. One time it was extremely adventurous. They took off in fog over the bering straight to AK to avoid the thousands of dollars the officials asked inofficially to give them the clearence for AK. Well that's russia!!!!
C-M

Yeah those were the good old days for sure! I heard a lot about that from pilots who went through in the 90's. But on my last trip I didn't see anything like that. It was up and up most of the time except a little bit around the Moscow airport which only kept me from getting a taxi for two hours. No bribes.

Back