• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rough field takeoffs

rcsimpson

FRIEND
Anna, TX
My question is how to best maintain the proper attitude before lifting off when you are being bumped around by rough terrain. I flew the 140 over to a small airpark with a bumpy as heck grass strip. The landing was ok, although I bounced it a bit since it was 1900 long and 140 feet wide. The HUGE runway width threw me off a bit. Anyways on to the takeoff. I felt like I was in a floatplane on a short lake and a HOT day. The airspeed was oscillating around 40 mph and I wanted 50 at least to horse it up into ground effect. I couldn't keep the tail in the right postion due to the rough conditions and finally got enough umphhfff to get in ground effect. We had about 900 feet to go so it wasn't a big deal, but I was getting a bit worried. This could just be the measly 85 HP engine and the not so short takeoff performance of the 140. By the way, it seems like a Cub in this same circumstance just wants to fly off when you hit a little bump. The 140 wanted to stay on the ground much longer . . . .

The 140 is a pig on a hot Texas summer day. Takes forever to get off the ground, and then climb is somewhere just above miserable. Just the nature of the beast.

Been there, done that.

A 140 on bumpy strips is asking for problems. Look at the bulkhead just under the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. I repaired Craig's 140A which had smoked rivets there from the tailwheel beating around. Then at Sun & Fun I started looking at other 140s and found lots of smoked rivets. Some so bad the stiffener going up the side of the fuselage had the rivets on it smoked. I think you are dealing with a lot heavier plane with the same horse power therefore less performance.

Steve, can you explain "smoked" to a non A&P. I think I know what you mean, but not too sure. Are the heads showing signs of abuse, the holes "wallered" out, etc. ???

rcsimpson said:
Steve, can you explain "smoked" to a non A&P. I think I know what you mean, but not too sure. Are the heads showing signs of abuse, the holes "wallered" out, etc. ???
smokedrivet1.jpg

That's it except the ones on the 140 bulkhead are brazier head and you will see black dust coming off of them. I supported Craig's tail forward of the bulkhead and could move the tail up and down hinging on the bulkhead with the smoked rivets. :eek:

Different kinds of airplanes for different types of operations. Note how few C-140s and Luscombes are operated in the bush.

8.50's or 26" tires. No flaps, tail low. Let tail come up on it's own. Jerk full flaps at about 40. Rise into ground effect at 40. 50 is too fast and your using too much runway that way. It should fly out of ground effect at 50.

Jerk full flaps

UMM......he means, smoothly apply full flaps.

Run some tests for yourselves, flap jerkers, smooth flap application for a takeoff "pop" will yeild a shorter takeoff every time. Every time.

40 feet consistenly for me when running my "fun tests".

Smooth application of flaps feels like you're lifting yourself with the flap lever.

Abrupt jerking of the flap lever makes it feel to me like I've cut the edge off the air.........a whole bunch of drag "right now".

Try it for yourselves. :D

DAVE

Dave,

You have convinced me. Yes, I will try it.

Now, if I can just convince you that 15-hour oil changes are the ticket! :morning:

Erik

smke

hi the picture i see looks moore like wearing out dirty aluminum and
h2o pretty hard to say from picture thou

ces

a 140 is usual made for airpots you need a cub ,stitson,beaver,champ
or souped up cessna but it becomes out of ballenc on floats with bigger
engine in front

Back