• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Possible to get a pilot license with hearing loss?

Did the medical examination, took a hearing test, took guesses at the sounds, passed it flawlessly.

Someone tell me why it was so easy. Still going to get hearing aids and probably stay away from the radio, but nice to know I can get a third class medical now.

Now, the game begins...Citabria....Supercub...J3...

So does anyone know the actual FAA rules for sure. Can a doctor actually limit a pilot or put a restriction on that hearing aids or aid is required? I understand you want to hear everything possible but what is the call? doug

You have to be able to hear the spoken word.

It could be considered a bit vague :lol: .

Used to be an AME in ANC that a lot of airline types (and some of the others of us) went to for medicals. It was reputed that if you could "See the lightning and hear the thunder in a thunderstorm" you'd pass.

MTV

Texas Nick- In you initial posting my recommendation to you would have just been to go buy a Cub, don’t worry about the particulars so long as you’re safe, and go fly. If one can’t hear or doesn’t have a pilots license it’s my understanding that if the air goes faster over the top of the wings then the bottom, it’ll fly. Especially if you’re at a private strip... or so I've heard. (disclaimer) :wink:

If you’re doing it for a career however, then rules and regulations become much more important. I’m in a similar situation to you. I’m 26 years old, and recently departed ways with a career in the Tobacco industry. It paid rather well, but EVERY morning I literally hated waking up. Life is too short for that! We only have one go at this life; let’s try to make it a good one.

I wish you all the success in your recent venture. I know you can do it, and every member of supercub.org is standing behind you.

If there’s anything I can do to help just pm.

Lippy

I have been wearing hearing aids since 1962 and cannot understand any speech if I don't have them in. I have no problem with ANL headsets and can understand most people in a quiet room if I have my hearing aids in. Now flying sport pilot but not because of my hearing. I just don't need to go faster than my J3 and PA11 will take me at 70 years of age.

Go for it. Most people don't say much worth hearing anyway.

mvivion said:
You have to be able to hear the spoken word.

MTV

Hear and... UNDERSTAND

something that is questionable if you have flown into some of the busier training airports recently

~

Oh, dang----UNDERSTAND!!

THAT's where I've been going wrong all these years.... :angel: .

Deafer'n a Post in MN

MTV

Mike, that's a good one!

I have some very expensive hearing aids but I don't like wearing them. Since I am usually deaf other folks say things nearby because they know I can't hear them; that's when I put them in and hear everything.

Hearing aids can actually be fun at times because with them in my ears I can hear a pin drop and when I want some piece and quiet I take them out or turn them off.

I can hear the radio just fine with my passive Sigtronics headset and their great intercom without hearing aids. ...Clyde

Yes it is possible. Sonauris is the perfect place to find Phonak hearing aids that stand out for their effectiveness in deaf or hard of hearing people. You will find them in our online store at the best price on the market.

Back