• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 90 Starter wiring

Richard York

Rockport, MA
I have a PA-18-90 that I am rebuilding. It had no electrics when I got it and now I want to put a starter back in it with the associated electrics. I have a wiring diagram but I am a little confused on the actual starting set up. The starter has a manual engagement lever and there is a solenoid in the back by the battery. Does anyone have any information on how this was originally rigged? Where was the switch to activate the solenoid located? I think I have to put this back to original condition in order to apply for an airworthiness certificate.

Thanks,

Dick York

The button connects to the starter relay.

You pull out the starter handle and then push the button on this setup.

If it is in your budget you might want to consider just installing the B+C starter just using the push button/keyswitch.

18-95 is a great plane!

Starter handle is just on top of the pilots knee in this one. The starter button is located on the left side by the throttle. Not sure if this is totally original.

P7151333.JPG

Click here for the big pic:

http://sparky.supercub.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11811&size=big&cat=607

I wired it so the master switch energizes the relay which feeds power to the starter wire and the pull handle actually energizes the starter. The schematic shows the manual starter switch for the Cont. but also shows a regular starter switch which I think is used on the Lycoming. I hve seen a PA11 and an 18-95 with both switches but I didn't wire the one I fly that way.

If you only run a starter relay you have to have a pair of heavy wires up to the wing root to the master switch where if you use a master relay you can have one small wire.

The "95"'s came with the starter button just under the throttle. Placement is so you can have hold of the "ball" and push the button with our thumb. This, while holding the starter T-handle out with your right hand.

PA 18 -95 starter

Thanks for the input. I thought the switch under the throttle was there to energize the start relay but it seems as though you need three hands to start; one for the start handle, one for the start button and one for the throttle. It does make sense to have one hand on the throttle for start.

BTW, what is a B+C starter? Someone mentioned that the new light weight starters are great but can cause damage to the engine flywheel because they are a little to powerful.

Thanks

Re: PA 18 -95 starter

Richard York said:
Thanks for the input. I thought the switch under the throttle was there to energize the start relay but it seems as though you need three hands to start; one for the start handle, one for the start button and one for the throttle. It does make sense to have one hand on the throttle for start.

BTW, what is a B+C starter? Someone mentioned that the new light weight starters are great but can cause damage to the engine flywheel because they are a little to powerful.

Thanks

Richard-

B&C makes a nice lightweight starter for the continentals. I think it saves you 7 pounds, and also gets rid of the clutch. I would go that route with just the push button version. Continental actually uses these on their new engines.

Not sure where you got the information with the flywheel, lycomings use a flywheel.

www.bandc.biz

I plan using their starter and alternator along with a lightweight battery under the seat for a nice lightweight electrical system. The old system is around 50 lbs, the new one should be 25lbs. or so.

Tim

Back