• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil cooler STC 2nd cooler

WhiskeyMike

West Boxford MA
Does anyone have an STC approval for a second oil cooler? Preferably NOT on the rear baffle. We used to have one to install the GPU style cooler which works great on tow planes, but I cannot find the paperwork which goes back to the early 70's. Or, does anyone have a Harrison model AD06CU04-02 oil cooler? It is part of an early Piper service letter for Ag Super Cubs to install a second cooler on the left side of the boot cowl. This early cooler had two fittings on one end. Need urgently and any help appreciated.

My 77 PA-18 had a second cooler located in the front engine baffling when I purchased it. This was in addition to the stock front cooler and was about was about the same size. I still have it... drooling in a corner of the hanger.

As I recall it had been installed as part of a 337 for a spray tank mounting. I don't recall an STC related to the cooler. Interestingly, the cooler stayed in place after 604's brief stint with the tank and 337 to remove it and the EFFORT required in OKC to bring it out back from the restricted certificate…

For my flying, even in Oklahoma summers, the combination worked way too well and was heavy.

I have since removed that and the stock cooler for a front mounted Niagara cub cooler which is perfect!

I'll get the books out this evening and verify what they did.

Kirby

oil cooler STC 2nd cooler

Found a cooler, in fact 2. Normally we operate in Restricted Category, but this PA-18 is standard and I needed an approved install, which I found with an old Piper Service letter. This is not for everybody, in fact only for a very limited number of people with special needs like ours. For most folks, I suspect a Niagara in the front is the best option. For me, I don't like them on the rear baffle, but that's only IMHO. thanks all. Problem solved UNLESS someone remembers the STC for the Harrison GPU cooler on the landing gear V. It's out there, but has faded into obscurity.

Kirby, I would be interested in your cooler and paperwork. Stearman 600 (Wayne) is importing his SC from Italy and it should be at my place next week. We need an extra cooler so he doesn't cook the oil when hauling huge billboard banners.

Back