• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

I called Lycoming about 100 LL issue

HATIN11R

Sandpoint,Idaho
I read an article in Plane & Pilot that quoted Lycoming, "all our currently produced engines can run on unleaded fuel".Well since the Tel issue or Congress/EPA may one day end 100LL,I decided to call Lycoming directly and get the scoop on this statement.Well I got a hold of the very person who made that quote and this is what he said: " any of our non-turbo.engines with a compression ratio of 8.5 or less can be run on 91 octane aviation grade fuel". He even stated the IO-540 (which I am interested in) was certified using 91 octane.We spoke about other issues concerning fuels,gov't regs.etc. and where he thought the gen.aviation group was heading as a whole.All in all the picture for the fuel issues were good and we won't be grounded so to speak,if the 100 LL thing comes to pass.Anyway just thought ya'll might like to know. Mike Calvert is the guy I spoke to,and he called me back in about 30 mins.after I left him a message...........Herman.

Mike........that is correct. He said that there is 91 avail.now but the demand isn't high because 100LL is still here.Thus the general GA pilot isn't even aware of this.Bottom line: when we are pushed out of the 100LL market by no more TEL,EPA,Congress or whatever, we should be able to use the 91 octane aviation fuel.When the demand is there,so the supply should be.That is the answer he gave me.He also stated that the oil co.'s are working on a unleaded that will be suitable for the turocharged engines.He said they are close,but not quite there yet.I hope he knows what he is talking about.Time will tell.......Herman.

What is there to work on?? They have been making gasoline for 100 + years. They can crack it to any requirement within the range of "gasoline". The only thing they are working on is "where to make it", and "how much to charge".

S.

Corrected contact info.@ Lycoming: Mike Caldera-570-323-6181 P.S.......stretch,give Mike a call.I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer your "conspiracy theory"...eerrrrrr I mean questions on this subject.Anyway,whatever one believes is fine,long as we can keep flyin'........Herman.

Back