• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hauling fuel in PVC tubes strapped to floats?

But if not full, as pitch angle changes the CG will move opposite to the direction of a restoring moment. Classic instability - - -
Absolutely with this method of carrying any liquid, if the container is not full, the CG shift could be catastrophic. It would be easy for the CG to shift outside of the ability of the elevator to compensate. :behead:

Fill it, yes; completely, NO. Filling any unvented fuel container to capacity is asking for trouble. Avgas expands and contracts about 1%/15*F (JP-4 about 1%/22*F). Even a steel tank will buckle or rupture under that kind of hydraulic pressure.

Thanks guys. I do have floats Douten - just need to get them on - EDO 2000s.
My dream trip is to go visit my friend Harvey Calden up at near Schefferville, Quebec - that's about 650 miles north of where I live. Harvey runs a camp up there Bigstag.com and has a very cool Beaver too! Anyway it seams to me that loads of fuel would be a great idea! I'm just researching things now and tossing ideas around. Lots of good ones out of this - especially yours John - I listen!
Thanks

Cliff Dow in Maine

Cliff, i recycle the blue oil can from Phillips oil( 2.5 gal) they fit perfect in the edo hatches and they are easy to get on the wings plus they are free and dont leak .

Thanks guys. I do have floats Douten - just need to get them on - EDO 2000s.
My dream trip is to go visit my friend Harvey Calden up at near Schefferville, Quebec - that's about 650 miles north of where I live. Harvey runs a camp up there Bigstag.com and has a very cool Beaver too! Anyway it seams to me that loads of fuel would be a great idea! I'm just researching things now and tossing ideas around. Lots of good ones out of this - especially yours John - I listen!
Thanks

Cliff Dow in Maine
That will be a great trip. You will need plenty of fuel capacity as there are not many places to get some along the way. There is a lake just outside Sept Isle (Remi Lake? not sure about this name) then Wabush and Shefferville. Nothing else was available the last time that I was there, which was a while ago. I can not imagine much has changed. A slow Cub does need lots of contingency fuel on this route. I did it with a 185 on straight floats with 100 gallons on board and needed it all.

Cliff,
The fluid containers sold on ABW website will in fact fit in an EDO 2000 hatch. once inside you fill them and close the hatch with a screwdriver. To remove the fuel you compress the bag while forcing fuel into a small 2.5 container. The hatches are located so you can store where you want them for your CG. The load will be stable. The 4 wheeler cans that Tom Ford shows are flat but contain a slot hole in the middle. These can be set on the top of your floats and attached through the slot hole and once again are stable. If you are serious about a float flight to Qubec next season klet me know and I will put my EDO2000s on and go with you. In the mean time go up and see the trains at Eagle above Chesuncook. Land in Eagle and take the short walk to the "Trains to Nowhere" it is a great time and great for your son. Below it is my camp at Shin Pond that you can stay with dock and tie up at Shin Pond Village.
John

up at near Schefferville, Quebec
Skywagon-man beat me to it. Good advice. I flew for food up there way back when. It's not really SC country; marginal even for a C-180. But if you must, plan to arrive over every fuel stop with at least 2hrs of fuel aboard. There are no navaids, no Wx reporting, no fuel, no people up there, and the compass goes crazy for a while around Mount Wright (Fermont). For long trips the locals set up their own fuel caches.

If you're mapreading, don't take your eyes off the ground directly below you or your pencil off the 4mi/in. topographic map (WAC's and sectionals are useless) for the last 300 miles. You actually draw your track on the map and note time and hdg. every 15 min. If you lose your spot, note your time and heading, then pick a lake to land on. Take the time to draw a rough sketch and orientation of the lake you're going to land on, as well as adjacent lakes. Land, and figure out where you are. Once you lose your spot, you'll never find it by circling back, even in good vis. The terrain is relatively flat with thousands of lakes and they all look the same. If you're putting your trust in GPS, carry a spare independent receiver. Oh, and don't even think about putting down on the St-Laurence if you have engine trouble: It will sink even a yellow sprinkler (CL-215). Best to cross just south of Riviere-du-Loup over the bird islands.

It's an unforgiving land up there even during the summer months. But it could be a great "back to basics" trip if well planned. Just play it safe. My 2c.

It's an unforgiving land up there even during the summer months. But it could be a great "back to basics" trip if well planned. Just play it safe. My 2c.
Very true. It is no place for a neophyte in a Super Cub. Especially one who "THINKS" that he is not a neophyte.

I once took a student on his dual X-country up to about 150 miles north of Shefferville. I gave him the chart and told him to do all the navigating and to never take his finger off the map. He did well and eventually went to Alaska to run his own 135 operation. That dual X-country served him well. In those days the Canadian charts were superb. I think that they were made from photomapping the entire north country.

The greater limitation of a typical Cub will be gross weight, not cubic space. I can load my hunting backpack with tent, sleeping bag, clothing, and provisions for 2 weeks and it'll weigh about 70# including gun and ammo. If I want to live well I can add 15-20 pounds of luxuries in a small rubbermaid tote. Two guys with similar gear doesn't threaten the ability to carry as many fuel cans as I might need. If there's no space for gas containers in the cabin, lose the unnecessary camping crap and move as much of it as practical into the float lockers. Anyone who's hunted or fished out of a chartered Cub knows the 70# drill. Heck, lots of air services use that limit in Cessnas and Beavers, too. It's comical to watch what guys show up with for a 1 or 2 week trip into the woods. That season is upon us once again in Alaska.

Last edited:
yes

statistics say 600-1,000 and 1,600-2,000 is the dangerous range.

You really think you know what you are doing then, and it bites you.

Find a flying buddy to travel with. One with lots of experience.

I'm up to 650 hours TT, and 450 in my cub - does that mean i'm still a neophyte?
Especially if you have no experience flying in the boonies such as is found north of the St. Lawrence river. There are basically no nav aids there and depending on GPS alone is a death wish. If you think that tooling around northern Maine is in the boonies you are in for an eye opener.

Lots of good points here I have a lease in that country and have flown there and labrador a fair amount. ABW bags work in 200 floats 2 per float ok 3 is tight and hard to work with but have done that. 2.5 plastic can work well also not for long term but ok.

That is big country and rough and beautiful. Fuel is a problem and not all places have 100LL as lot of planes are turbine up there now.I can help you and might if timing is right go along on a trip. Cubs work good up there fishing. Fuel is very expensive and you need to plan ahead. We-my good friend Jacques -from Que flew about 2500miles up there in early july this year and had a great time. Lots of bad weather and big country. You need a game plan! Oh just as a point of interest a supercub will haul a hell of a load if done carefully and correctly. Dont ask how I know but they will! Cubs can fish where the big guys wont go. Brook trout in the 9-10lb class are not uncommon. Right Jacques!! Also need to know rules and what you can and cannot do. If you get in trouble rescue might be there but it could be very expensive as a 180 pilot found out because he couldnt start his 180 and called an airliner for help.

We flew from Goose Bay, Labrador to Bangor,Maine in one day but it was a long day and many weather changes. So you can get fuel but you have to plan and carry extra fuel with you most of the time and also plan on an unexpected over night in the bush. It is not a place to be foolish or overly dareing it could be deadly as there is no one to help you. I have flown in Alaska and this is not as user friendly most of the time. The local are great people but a lot dont speak english and dont all understand float planes.

I'm up to 650 hours TT, and 450 in my cub - does that mean i'm still a neophyte?

450 Hrs in a cub is good if it's comprehensive (all kinds of conditions). Overall experience is harder to evaluate. Some learn quick, others not so quick. Most pilots learn quick when they have to fly for food and have to operate to places and in conditions others wouldn't. Overall experience is usually assumed after 10K hours, but even that wont help you if specific experience (e.g. bush) is what's needed.

There you are Cliff, You need to sit down with Ray (bushmaster) buy him a dinner. It will be the best meal you ever bought.

Whats the shock load on PVC pipe,loaded with 100LL. ( low lead),landing on 6"-12" waves? Where do you carry the Absorbent blankets ,that might be needed to clean up the spill on one of thows beautiful lakes where youlive. The stickers you had to pay for on invasive species,how does all this apply?

Back