• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Got Wood?

cubdriver2

FRIEND
upstate NY
Timmy I got my wood cut, wife says I can't fly till its split and stacked. You and the boys coming over to help?

Glenn

Cedar Flts Log 003.jpgCedar Flts Log.jpg

This is how we do it in Washington.

Attachments

• Cedar Flts Log 003.jpg
    Cedar Flts Log 003.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 273
  • Cedar Flts Log.jpg
    Cedar Flts Log.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 297
Timely subject. Just came in from knocking over a big old cedar. Well not that big, about 3' dia 3' up from the ground. Started about 10:00, dug up the roots with the back hoe, pushed it over with the hoe, limbed it, cut it up into 10'6" chunks , moved them out of the woods and over to my saw mill and then went back and made two big piles of limbs with the hoe to burn later.
I dig roots on three sides and then position the hoe to push it the way I want it to go and then start it rocking and then push and guide it down. It;s always a little scary when it starts to go but very satisfying as it goes down exactly where you want it. Nice to have the stump pop out too. All in all a pretty good day.

Burn up the limbs? Excellent stove wood cuz they're dense. Cooked up a NICE pot of ham & beans yesterday on the wood range fired with cedar limbs. :)

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

I called about that Bobcat attachment 2-3 years ago, it cost over $30,000. So much for that thought..

Burn up the limbs? Excellent stove wood cuz they're dense. Cooked up a NICE pot of ham & beans yesterday on the wood range fired with cedar limbs. :)

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Gordon, bring your fleet of semi-trucks, :) you can have all the limbs you want. I burn the maple and alder which are weeds to me (especially the maple which is down right dangerous standing). Maybe you need some stumps? You will need a low boy but I can load them for you! Cedar burns to fast and to hot for me :onfire: but it's great for starting wood. I unfortunately don't have almost any fir so if I want to build something it's all cedar. Were working on a horse arena fence now so cedar works out good.

I just re-read your post. Are you saying the limbs burn as good as fir or maple? I have never tried burning them except as burn piles outside. Maybe I've misjudged them as fuel? My wife wouldn't have any more excuses for not getting in the winter wood since her little Stihl could easily cut up 3 and 4" logs :lol: and she wouldn't have to split them!

And to get this on super cubs: I have considered maybe finding two volunteer branches with the right shape to be the basis of wing tips. Has anyone ever used naturally shaped wood for wing tip bows? Is cedar usable? Dried it would be very light I would think.

I like the cedar limbs (fir too) for cooking because they burn fairly hot and I don't have to split them. Also, the limbs are denser than the main stem so hold a fire fairly well, though not as well as alder or maple. Wild crabapple is my favorite, but don't have much of that so save it for smoking. Overall favorite and most used in the furnace is alder, cuz it's plentiful, easy to split, and burns well. But they all make a flame!

I like the cedar limbs (fir too) for cooking because they burn fairly hot and I don't have to split them. Also, the limbs are denser than the main stem so hold a fire fairly well, though not as well as alder or maple. Wild crabapple is my favorite, but don't have much of that so save it for smoking. Overall favorite and most used in the furnace is alder, cuz it's plentiful, easy to split, and burns well. But they all make a flame!

You guys ever hear of Oak, Hickory, Beech, Ash, Locust, Elm, etc. etc,

Having used wood for my primary heat source for almost 40 years, I've burned all species native to the Pacific NW. All wood, properly seasoned puts out pretty good heat. My go to wood has always been Doug Fir and Hemlock for one reason. I can burn it all winter and maybe have to clean the ashes out of the stove once, mid winter. I've burned the hardwoods, alder, maple, oak and such but you have to clean the stove on a weekly basis. Hardwood ash just doesn't disperse like the conifers. The real key to burning any species is an air-tight (pre EPA regulation) stove. Love wood heat for one main reason. If you come in wet and cold you can stand close and warm up fast. Try that with the floor register for a heat pump!! I have one of those too for back-up and summer cooling.
The BEST firewood available in the PNW is Tamerack!! Just hard to come by as it's an Eastside (of the Cascades) species. Splits like cedar and burns like Doug Fir.
Mike

Last edited:
You guys ever hear of Oak, Hickory, Beech, Ash, Locust, Elm, etc. etc,

Thats what I was wonderin,,, Sycamore or Elm or a twisted Pecan will flat out bust some of those machines.. I used to have a Valley wood processor that could run a 24 in log thru, split it 6 ways and out a conveyor..Lot of work, but there's not many trees left in Oklahoma anymore...:lol: Mine was like this one in the video except I had 2 arms that came out to stack logs on, they would then roll into the trough by way of moving chains.. All hydraulic and had a 80 HP John Deere engine on it running 1 hydraulic pump. Ran a .404 chain. Sold it to some guys in Georgia to split pine. I bet that machine thought it was retired when it went there...

A hydraulic log splitter and a 6 pack of cold beer. Stack in the 6 wheeler and let the wife stock the wood shed. That's how it's done in my world. Spruce makes lots of heat for a short time. Birch makes slow, even heat that lets you sleep through the night. New tech oil stoves run 24 hours on a gallon or two. Screw wood heat as a primary. Save the wood for the Snorkel Stove and a hot soak with the wife. :)

I'll ask here because I can't find a similar thread. What are folks using for hydraulic log splitters? I'll be needing one soon and want to get looking.

Back