• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Firewall Sealing Around Gascolator Fitting

musket

FRIEND
Baja Oklahoma
How have y'all sealed the firewall around the fitting that passes fuel from the fuel selector valve to the gascolator? My first thought was to use a grommet, then cover the grommet with fire sealing caulk, then cover all of THAT with one of those two-piece shields that screw to the firewall. Is that a bit excessive, or is there a better way?

'Preciate your advice and knowledge -- thanks in advance.

Andy

In the pa18 parts manual theres a washer 80122-67. Item number 64 in the fuel system installation diagram. Figure 35 page 120 in my parts manual. Whats its purpose???

I looked up the photo of this fitting in our SC. I don't remember using any caulk and it appears the reason is because the grommet fits tightly around the fitting. I don't see how caulk would help in this case.
P8190014b.jpg

Attachments

• P8190014b.jpg
    P8190014b.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 197
Piper put some sort of caulk on the firewall side over a phenolic type washer if memory serves me correctly.

Thanks, guys. Looks like the grommet and caulk (or a fire resistant putty of some sort) is the preferred method.

Hey Darrel -- no more pictures of your airplane from you, OK? Your craftsmanship sets the bar toooo high for us common, mortal builders !!!!

Mike: You've just cost me some big $$$ -- 4' x 8' sheets of .060 Kydex are d*mned expensive . . . . . .

Thanks, guys. Looks like the grommet and caulk (or a fire resistant putty of some sort) is the preferred method.

Hey Darrel -- no more pictures of your airplane from you, OK? Your craftsmanship sets the bar toooo high for us common, mortal builders !!!!

Mike: You've just cost me some big $$$ -- 4' x 8' sheets of .060 Kydex are d*mned expensive . . . . . .

$$$ ;-) you'll love it

Back