• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Electric Trim

J5Ron

GONE WEST
Valdez, Alaska
I am building a Exp 14...has anyone put electric trim on a cub type...
I have already put in PA 18 Trim...but with the front seats in, it is VERY tight...almost unusable...OR would it be best to put in an elec trim motor?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,
I am also building an Exp. 14 with the '18 trim. I am going to use an overhead trim system for the same reasons you mentioned. What about flaps, are you putting them in? I haven't decided yet between some sort of overhead or between the seats flap handle yet. That is next step on my fuselage.

Marty

My 12 has overhead trim. I prefer it to a stock Cub's location. I used to have pics taken from outside the skylight but apparently they were lost in the most recent hard drive crash. I can take more if you guys are interested.

SB

Trim

Hi Ron : I have a experimental -14 and have a trim tab , you hardly ever have to trim the plane , very stable and flies hands off!
Cub Crafters has a new electric trim they would sell , but I bet if you just moved it overhead like on a Pacer it would be fine!

By the way what engine are you using and where did you get your kit?

Gerry Marcil

I have a factory PA-14 that has the original overhead trim. It seems very natural to go from pulling the flaps (between the seats) to cranking the trim. It is easy to reach, and you don't ever have to look for it. The down side is that it would be in the way if you put in a skylight. I would recommend this configuration.

After all the training I have had on the "run away" trim malfunction in other airplanes, I would hesitate to add the complexity to a cub. Electric trim is just one more thing to fail or break. In a certified airplane, you could fall back on the manual trim, but in your airplane there would not be a back up. I can envision an unpleasant long trip trying to fight an untrimmed airplane after the trim motor quits.

Like Nathan said, electric trim in the CC Sport cub is great. I think CC put it in because it's lighter than the whole crank trim system. They might sell just the trim system? Bill

Thanks for the reply's...Thanks Bill...I like your direct drive system...Anyone aware of a cable run electric drive?
Ron

A real cheep system can be made from a window elect motor out of a car door. Just about the right speed for the jack screw.

Back