• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dipstick measuring doubt

Ha Ha! I’ve typed something similar several times and then deleted it..... Glad I’m not the only one that thinks it may be possible some are overthinking this. The 185 I flew on floats had 2 X’s, low and high. Keep it between the X’s and all is good. Longer flight? A little closer to the top X......

No wonder you’re having so much trouble with the concept of oil in an engine.

I have no trouble with "the concept of oil in a engine"

I own and maintain a Lycoming O-360 and a Lycoming IO-360. When I change the oil and filter on each of these engines I add 7 quarts. After engine run for leak check they both show about 6.5 quarts on the dipstick. They are both indicating that there is 6.5 quarts of oil in the sump. There is no indication anywhere that there is 7 quarts of oil in the engine but I know there is because I poured it in and it didn't come out.

Both engines use factory marked dipsticks and I believe their indications are normal. As you say it isn't rocket science. A correctly calibrated dipstick on a Lycoming O-360 or IO-360 shows the oil quantity in the sump.

I have no trouble with "the concept of oil in a engine"

I own and maintain a Lycoming O-360 and a Lycoming IO-360. When I change the oil and filter on each of these engines I add 7 quarts. After engine run for leak check they both show about 6.5 quarts on the dipstick. They are both indicating that there is 6.5 quarts of oil in the sump. There is no indication anywhere that there is 7 quarts of oil in the engine but I know there is because I poured it in and it didn't come out.

Both engines use factory marked dipsticks and I believe their indications are normal. As you say it isn't rocket science. A correctly calibrated dipstick on a Lycoming O-360 or IO-360 shows the oil quantity in the sump.

congratulations— You got it! And described it well. Good job!

MTV

Yep.......just a bunch of us dipsticks wondering if we're a half quart low.

Half a quart low = lower oil consumption. The manufacturers figure max burn rate allowed per hour x expected hours of running to leave a minimum in the sump. Too full blows out the reserve from a normal engine.

Gary

Since we are discussing "dip sticks", I thought you may be interested in why a certain amount of oil is in the engine.

PART 3—AIRPLANE AIRWORTHINESS—NORMAL, UTILITY, ACROBATIC, AND RESTRICTED PURPOSE CATEGORIES
OIL SYSTEM
§ 3.561 Oil system. Each engine shall be provided with an independent oil system capable of supplying the engine with an ample quantity of oil at a temperature not exceeding the maximum which has been established as safe for continuous operation. The oil capacity of the system shall not be less than 1 gallon for every 25 gallons of fuel capacity. However, in no case shall the oil capacity be less than 1 gallon for each 75 maximum continuous horsepower of the engine(s) involved unless lower quantities can be substantiated.

Ha Ha! I’ve typed something similar several times and then deleted it..... Glad I’m not the only one that thinks it may be possible some are overthinking this. The 185 I flew on floats had 2 X’s, low and high. Keep it between the X’s and all is good. Longer flight? A little closer to the top X......

Who marked it?

I take it you were flying somebody else’s airplane that somebody else maintained?

Cessna marks dip sticks on planes which have seaplane kits on both sides. One for wheels and the other for floats.

Thanks Pete, I thought that was the case as I saw the markings on a float kitted wheel plane I flew as well.

I’ve been told the factory didn’t mark seaplane dipsticks. I don’t know if that’s true or not. My seaplane Xs look like a child marked them. More like a distracted child with bad vision. One exercise I always did when going from wheels to floats was knowing how much oil was in the engine on tires so I knew what the dipstick markings represented.

I recall a thread on the Skywagons page where a guy commented on how much oil his plane used after an oil change. Predictably he got lots of comments about engines puking out a quart or two when filled to capacity. It turned out he had never verified his dipstick and it read low. Subsequently every time he came back from flying he overfilled his oil. The original post in this thread asked a good question.

Stewart,

Cessna factory did mark the oil dipsticks on seaplane kit equipped 185s. I flew two brand new ones, straight from the factory. Numbers on one side of the dipstick, two XXs on the other side. And, yes, they weren’t “pretty” XXs.

MTV

My plane hasn’t seen the factory in 46 years and had had a few engines in that time. I’m pretty sure my dipstick came with the last reman arrival and I’m 100% positive it wasn’t accurate as an oil level indicator on either side until I marked it. I’d think my situation is as common as not.

Back