• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Data Plate Ser. No. & Fuselage Ser. No.

Gunny

WA
I had a call from an IA in Arizona yesterday. He claimed he had the fuselage from my old airplane because the serial number on the fuselage matched my data plate serial number. Both Mike B. and I tried to set him straight that the fuselage serial number and data plate serial numbers don't match but I don't think he really believed us. We referred him to Clyde Smith who ( I understand ) has (or has access to) the list that cross references data plate serial numbers and fuselage serial numbers.

My question. Besides Clyde is there any other source or means of access to the cross reference list?

I'm just trying to help this guy out - he needs to get a new data plate for his customer and couldn't reach Clyde right away. I think Clyde is on the road doing seminars. Anyway - thanks in advance for any assistance.

Piper charges $350 plus $10 shipping and you have to have a letter from the FAA. I have the fax from Piper I will scan and post.

Data_Plate_Letter.jpg

Last time I did this, they required a 'tracing' (lay paper over the tag and rub pencil over it) to be included with the affidavit from the feds.......funny........now they trust the feds.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. Will Piper help him identify the data plate serial number that matches the fuselage serial number?

You see the problem is that they know the fuselage serial number but don't know the data plate (aircraft) serial number. They thought both matched but they don't. Their fuselage serial number happens to be my data plate (aircraft) serial number which is how they came to call me. Thanks again.

Will Piper help him identify the data plate serial number that matches the fuselage serial number?

They'll need to know that.

It will have an N number that goes with it, also an airworthiness cert., etc.

....you know where I'm going here?

Dave - yes I know where you are going. Perhaps I didn't explain the situation clearly.

All they have is a fuselage serial number. They do not know the data plate serial number. They do not know the N number. Logs and records were lost (according to them). They are trying to get the aircraft serial number (data plate number) so they can look up the N number and request a new data plate and aircraft registration.

It also occured to me that someone might be trying to pull a fast one or that they are the victim of a seller that misrepresented the airplane.

However, if either of those is the case, when they get the aircraft serial number (that matches their fuselage serial number) and look up the N number associated with their aircraft serial number if it is already assigned they won't be able to get a data plate much less register the aircraft under the associated N number. Right?

Like I said - they got to me because their fuselage serial number happens to match my aircraft serial number so when they searched on that fuselage serial number (thinking it was an aircraft serial number) in the FAA database my name and tail number came up and they called me.

So - if they are legit - and the victims of a seller that misrepresented the aircraft (for example) - is there any way for them to confirm that the N number and aircraft serial number associated with their fuselage serial number are indeed assigned to someone else?

I have no vested interest in any of this other than my usually misguided attempt to help a guy out as well as my usually misguided belief that most people a basically honest. Anyways, thanks for the info - I do appreciate the help. I passed along the letter Steve posted so these guys now have enough info to pursue the matter themselves.

They can build a SC out of PMA'd parts and get the FAA to issue an airworthiness certificate after they inspect and verify it meets the Type Certificate. they will give it a serial number that doesn't fall in the Piper serial numbers. Same thing Cub Crafters did. Worked on a J3/L4 that was done that way recently.

Back