• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Clicking Noise From Trig Transponder in Sigtronics Intercom

Ok, so why would the fabric be cut off, and wires hanging? Is that from some of your field modifications Steve E?

From your previous post I guess I won't have to field anymore technical question from you?

Basic rule for pilots, one left out of the PP manual:

Never, NEVER insult, insinuate or embarrass the people you depend upon to deliver you an aircraft you want to be airworthy and safe... Remember, it is YOUR life, not theirs.

Of course, some might not be missed as much as others!

any pireps on the new david clarks with Bluetooth, my intercom bit the dust and thinking about these in the j-3, no radios anyway mainly for phone use and to talk to passengers?

Been researching various cures out there for Mode S noise . I found where Cirrus moved the transponder antenna to the tail area to get it away from other avionics and power supplies and close signal bounce from the gear. Been thinking about that, I have the removable metal tail clean-out and it's big enough for the ground plane requirements but just not sure how the antenna would handle stuff that gets kicked up in the boonies, not to mention getting the coax routed back there will be a pain and require another hole in the airplane.

Been researching various cures out there for Mode S noise . I found where Cirrus moved the transponder antenna to the tail area to get it away from other avionics and power supplies and close signal bounce from the gear. Been thinking about that, I have the removable metal tail clean-out and it's big enough for the ground plane requirements but just not sure how the antenna would handle stuff that gets kicked up in the boonies, not to mention getting the coax routed back there will be a pain and require another hole in the airplane.

Build an internal mount/plane just ahead of the metal belly so it remains inside and is protected, much like an elt.

As far as holes, go, come on, if you did not plan on getting a hole in your aircraft, why have bushwheels?

But it might be easier if you leave while the damage is being done, then come back when it is purdy again

Build an internal mount/plane just ahead of the metal belly so it remains inside and is protected, much like an elt.

As far as holes, go, come on, if you did not plan on getting a hole in your aircraft, why have bushwheels?

But it might be easier if you leave while the damage is being done, then come back when it is purdy again

Mode S is a pretty high powered signal, I'm afraid inside may cause the same issues.

I know it's new and it's going to get dinged but still it's the only new plane I'm likely to ever get... I guess if it was a Pick Up I'd just drop the tail gate and back it into a pole and get it over with!

I'm not an electronics guy by a long shot though this discussion has given me an idea. Get a long piece of coax run it back to the tail or out the lift strut to the wing tip and temporarily tape on the antenna. Does the clicking go away?

I'm not an electronics guy by a long shot though this discussion has given me an idea. Get a long piece of coax run it back to the tail or out the lift strut to the wing tip and temporarily tape on the antenna. Does the clicking go away?
We tried it beside standing beside the airplane and still click, click, click...

Put an antenna on an aluminum plate and grounded the plate to the airframe. Started at the tail and no clicking. Started moving forward and got under the cockpit and started up from the ground and when I got to the bottom of the fuselage it started clicking again. I ended up running the coax along the center belly stringer back to the removable aft belly panel and installed the antenna there and no noise.
20151013_145640.jpg

Attachments

• 20151013_145640.jpg
    20151013_145640.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 388
RF is being picked up through something. We could spend several more days figuring out where it was coming in and rewire but this worked and was fairly simple.

Back