• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How to eliminate intercom noise?

Speedo

FOUNDER
TN
One of the nicer planes at work has an annoying tone in the intercom, and our mechanics have tried but have not been able to fix it. We have few avionics guys available to us, so I'm hoping someone here can give me a few tips that I can pass along to the mechanics.

The plane's audio panel is set up for the following com radios: HF, Com 1, and Com 2. It also has buttons for Nav 1 and 2, ADF, etc, but I don't think the problem lies there.

The radio stack includes a marine band VHF controlled by the HF button on the audio panel, a Garmin 430 controlled by the Com 1 button, and a KX 155 controlled by Com 2. I need to be able to monitor the VHF marine band radio all the time and simultaneously Com 1 or Com 2. However, whenever I select the marine band radio when I've also got Com 1 or Com 2 selected I get a loud and annoying dentist drill sort of noise. I can bear it for only about ten minutes, and then must deselect the marine band radio (by pressing the HF button on the audio panel).

The noise is only heard when I have the marine band radio and either of the com radios selected on the audio panel. If I select only the marine band radio I do not hear the noise. I do not hear the noise when the marine band radio is not selected and either or both of the other two com radios are selected.

The noise goes up in volume and frequency with increasing RPMs. As I turn off the Nav lights, the beacon, and the LED landing and taxi lights the volume of the noise drops as each switch is opened. However, the noise is still there.

Today I flew a different plane and it did not have the same noise problem. It was equipped with a marine band radio, Com 1 was a KX155, and Com 2 was an Apollo GX60. On this plane I could select all three radios simultaneously and there was no noise at all.

Are there any radio gurus out there who have encountered this problem themselves, and if so, how did you cure it?

[Oh, and by the way, this morning I flew from St. Mary's to Anvik, and then ten miles up the mighty Yukon to Grayling, and then back to St. Mary's. It was a beautiful, cold, clear morning. Most of the moose were still lying down (tough buggers), the inversion layer was creating "fairy castles" out of the hills near Marshall and along the Andrefsky River, and the air was smooth as silk. It was cold, cold, cold down low, but climbing to 2,000' put me above the inversion layer and it was much warmer there.

On cold mornings like this the engine develops loads of power, and an empty plane is often airborne before the engine reaches 24 inches of manifold pressure; quite a contrast to summer, when I might need to use 26 or 27 inches even when empty.]

Thanks in advance for all tips and suggestions.

First and foremost, make sure that your NAT box is connected securely. It's the small gold colored, impedance matching box that the marine audio/mic is routed through, usually model number AA34-?. Then make sure that the marine and Nat box are both grounded at the same point as the other two coms. You can also switch off the alternator field while listening to the noise, just to verify the source. Let us know what you find.

Web

...You can also switch off the alternator field while listening to the noise, just to verify the source. Let us know what you find.

Web

I wasn't thinking alternator really,

just like you say different ground locations or a poor/frying connection/breaker

Thanks everyone. I'll share your suggestions with the mechanic. Glenn, I'll try turning off the GPS and let you know what I find.

I wasn't thinking alternator really,

just like you say different ground locations or a poor/frying connection/breaker

He didn't say if it was a piston or turbine but if it was a piston engine, I guess he could be getting some kind of mag noise. And I didn't specifically think about the breaker. I'm imagining the NAT or marine connected to a light or alternator breaker, lol. Works but far from ideal.

Web

Glenn: turning off the GPS did not eliminate the noise. WEB: the plane runs a piston engine.

First and foremost, make sure that your NAT box is connected securely. It's the small gold colored, impedance matching box that the marine audio/mic is routed through, usually model number AA34-?. Then make sure that the marine and Nat box are both grounded at the same point as the other two coms. You can also switch off the alternator field while listening to the noise, just to verify the source. Let us know what you find.

Web

Are you thinking impedance mismatch (say radio 4-8 ohms to high impedance audio panel input) causing the audio panel AGC to go wide open trying to compensate and picking up the normal alternator ripple from the power to the amplifier?

Has this problem been with the aircraft since the marine radio was installed?

Are you thinking impedance mismatch (say radio 4-8 ohms to high impedance audio panel input) causing the audio panel AGC to go wide open trying to compensate and picking up the normal alternator ripple from the power to the amplifier?

Has this problem been with the aircraft since the marine radio was installed?

I'm suspecting issues with either the NAT box or the marine. It's definitely injected into the audio as it varies with the volume control. I'm thinking that the source may be the alternator/regulator as the noise level increases with electrical load. More than likely as simple as separating avionics grounds or power source. There is an outside chance that the summing amp in the audio panel is breaking down. By the labeling I'm guessing that it's an old KMA 24. Just swap it out to check. I don't believe that it is noise from the antenna or coax as there is no noise if only marine or only a com is selected.

The NAT box compensates for the low to high impedence, so I'd have to bet on a problem there. Either a breakdown internally (doubtful) or a connection issue, such as loose D-sub, poor grounding or power sourced from a shared breaker.

We'll just wait and see.

Web

The NAT box compensates for the low to high impedence, so I'd have to bet on a problem there. Either a breakdown internally (doubtful) or a connection issue, such as loose D-sub, poor grounding or power sourced from a shared breaker.

We'll just wait and see.

Web

we are assuming they have a NAT box installed! :)

Ok taking this a little further: If while the whine is there (audio panel with the three inputs "on"), and you receive a signal on the marine radio, Does that signal initially start out real loud for a few milliseconds and then cut back to a reasnonable level? Or another way of saying this: does the whine go away while receiving a signal on the marine radio?
What I am doing is focusing on an input level problem which could be way off base but I have had automatic leveling amplifiers (agc,avc,etc.) do things like this. Radio remote control units on dedicated phone lines could drive you nuts. Still this would be tied to other problems putting the whine in "harms way" so to speak (back to Mikes original suggestions in his link). I hate to propose a bandaid but a simple "pad" can sometimes make problems like this (if it is an AGC amp problem) go away. If it works you hold your nose and walk away.

Back