• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carrier only- no voice

S2D

Montana
Pulled the radio down on the 12 (KX155) to put the throttle cable in. (mounted under dash on laft side with intercom mounted below it) Now all I get is a carrier tone and no voice. Recieves good and intercom works good. Tried another KX155, same thing. Any ideas which wire I buggered?

On your mic jack, the connection to the tip is the transmitter key, that is working since you have power output. The connection to the ring is the mic audio. That is the wire that must be broken since there is no modulation. That is the best I can do for you without knowing where the mic jack is located or how it is wired into the intercom. ...Clyde Davis

I had the same problem last year. I was too nice installing the radio into the receptacle. I set it in the hole and used the screw to bottom it out in the tray. I guess it just pushed the pins away. I jammed it in and then just tightened the hold down screw and it works fine. Been doing it that way ever since. Jerry B. :)

Icecub said:
I would check the "mike input" to the radio. (wire between i/c & radio)
Good luck.

This might have been the closest call. took it all apart and found some ham fisted mechanic :splat: :oops: pinched the little brown wire that went to the intercom.

I had the same problem a yr ago, turned out to be a bum headset. I didnt have the radios out though. Might be worth a try.

Jim

Since the intercom is a separate unit ,the intercom is working, and you are getting the transmitter keyed, the two most likely problem locations are the intercom selector switch or the audio wire running from the intercom to the transmitter. Hopefully, you only have two wires running from the intercom to the radio. Worst case, disconnect one of these wires and see if you still have a carrier. If you do, then it is the other wire. If you still have a carrier, then you have the bad wire in your hand. LOL

*Note: Try pushing the wire pins into the connectors.

As noted above, I did find the problem. appeared to be one of the wires that went form the intercom to the radio. The bundle has way to many wires, with a transponder mixed in. the wires to the intercom werent bundled as nice as the rest and had a little more slack in them. When I remounted the radios, I pinched one wire between the radio and the frame. Thus was always grounded. I assume it was the audio wire, and isolating it cured the problem.
Thanks for all the ideas.
Brian

Back