• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Becker AR6201 Transceiver Experience

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
I am installing a new Becker AR6201 Transceiver which has a built in voice activated intercom. I know that the AR6201's predecessor the AR4201 had a switch activated intercom. I have read many comments on the built in intercom systems on many radios not being very good and that it was better to wire in a separate intercom system to the radio. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Becker AR6201 and if so is the intercom sufficient for Super Cub operations?

AR6201-002_h_02.jpg

Brochure
Manual

No experience with the Becker, but the VOX intercom in my Microair 760 works well in my Pa-12 with Bose A20 headsets.

Being more expensive and perhaps of higher quality, I'd expect the Becker to be at least as good.

Steve,

I'd sure like to hear how it works after you try it out for a while. Seems like a lot of reduced parts and pieces.

Id assume u have to build the whole harness like the old beckers ? If your customer can afford a Becker he can afford a good intercom with harness. Id do that to avoid future problems . I've had nothing but bad luck with beckers in working planes. I'll never waste my time installing another one. Hopefully this new model is better .

Steve

I installed a Becker AR6201 in my PA11 last year. The transceiver works great, but I have had problems with the intercom cutting out -- especially when it warms up. I have had to turn the intercom volume almost to max to get the intercom to break in. Also have to adjust the squelch whenever I have passengers. Sent it to back to Becker and they returned it and said they didn't find any problems ... grrrr. Based on my experience, installing a separate intercom system will work better.

Again, my experience is based solely on the Microair 760.

Minor problems: the VOX has to be adjusted during take-off due to the higher noise level and then re-set for cruise. I haven't found that to be much of an inconvenience, and wouldn't any VOX intercom (panel-mount or built into the radio) have the same problem?

I like the fact that, overall, it's a simpler installation without added panel space.

Another slight problem: if the intercom craps out I may be without a radio too while it's out for repair. Or vice versa.

I have the XCOM with the built in intercom. The intercom works great, is very clear, and hasn't needed adjustments since I first found the levels I like.

update: the XCOM has mono aux audio. I feed stereo music through the headset. It seems like most ANR headsets support aux stereo now, which allows each person to enjoy whatever music they want. Really handy when you have a teenage daughter in the back.

Last edited:
At first I had the Becker 4201 and upgraded to the 6201 when it came out because I wanted to be able to hear two frequency channels. Additionally I have a separate intercom Sigtronics SPA4S. The combination works perfect and I am able to adjust the VOX level on the separate intercom without going into the menues of the radio. I find this very convenient because of the different noise levels during a flight and with possibly different headsets to adjust for. Another reason was the possibility to add stereo music through the intercom. I installed a switch for stereo-mono to accept both stereo and mono headsets. So both radios worked great for me.

I have a question....

I have one of these i need to decide whether I do it, or let radio shop do it(not my project), it will be going through a PS intercom....

in the manual is says if you have a STANDARD microphone wire it one way... and if you have DYNAMIC microphone wire it this other way... and there are some settings to change then also.....

so the Question is what's the difference standard/dynamic?? which way do i wire it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Dynamic_microphone

Check the headset you're planning to use. Almost all modern ones use a electret (standard) mic.

Edited to correct brain check.

Check the headset you're planning to use. Almost all modern ones use a electret (standard) mic.

Edited to correct brain check.

thanks!
I have no idea what headset the customer will use... just wiring plane for another shop... it arrived as a pile of boxes, a poorly laid out panel that hit the tubes :)

thanks!
I have no idea what headset the customer will use... just wiring plane for another shop... it arrived as a pile of boxes, a poorly laid out panel that hit the tubes :)

Sawzall project????

At some point things seem to be too advanced. Typical situation is you set up for a "new" dynamic mike, (Not MCS Mike though), and you get some bozo instructor that shows up with his H-10-30 he bought used in 1984:wink::wink: and they don't work worth a K-9 doo...

Remember when all headsets would work with all radios... and intercoms were rare?

My short experience with Beckers is that they do fail, and they have to go to Florida to be fixed. I think the minimum charge is $500.

i am not smart enough to remember how to use the memory feature, although I have set one up, and so long as I did not push the wrong button it worked fine.

in Cubs, the PS Industries PM 501 seems to be the best solution - you can set the squelch with one easy knob. It takes a different setting with door open. I don't know how you re- set the squelch in a radio with internal intrcom, although I have don it with manual in hand,

opinion.

My Becker isn't worth a crap, as it doesn't transmit very well. Anyone try the Funkwerk Avionics radios? They look like a Becker and are made in Germany.

My Becker is awesome. Had three micro air 760 radios, before I finally gave up on them, and switched. I don't use the built in intercom though. I have a pm 501. Works great.

I thought that the Superhomer was the cat's meow until they came out with the MK II with whistle stop tuning. Now, THAT was a great radio. :lol:

I thought that the Superhomer was the cat's meow until they came out with the MK II with whistle stop tuning. Now, THAT was a great radio. :lol:

Your showing your age now Pete. I've heard funny stories about the old coffee grinder radios.

Talked to the Funkwerk folks, looks like a good product at a good price.

You mean the OMNIGATOR? Now that's the real deal, beside with a little "snap" you can listen to 107.9 FM radio, and you have a complete entertainment system built in. Seems like you could have a half dozen transmit frequency crystals. My dad would have a fit every time Boston tower would change its frequency. It meant buying a new crystal.:???: Bought a 90 channel Narco MK12 for our SNJ-4 and mounted it on rubber Lord mounts so it wouldn't shake the tubes out of their sockets. Man that was the Cadillac of radios! 90 channels!! Heaven.

Yeh the Superhomer was an upgrade from the Omnigator. Boston was always a problem. I used to call them on 3105 and listen on 382, yet they never answered. I guess that they didn't mind me flying over the airport at 2000 feet with my T-craft. :p

Don't know about the Becker, but a friend has an ICOM A210 in an Ercoupe. He uses the built in intercom which seems to work OK. One issue though is that only the pilot gets a push-to-talk button. Can't wire one in for the other headset without a separate intercom - might be the same for the Becker. Owner might not care but it is a potential safety feature.

If one is installing a new radio, I don't know why you'd go with the much bigger and heavier install of becker or microair. I just had to send my microair transponder over to Australia to have surgery for a minimum of $600 plus international shipping.

The MGL V10 is 1/2 pound, with a built-in intercom, and can be controlled with a garmin x96 with 3 wires pulled from a 396 or so and run com from your gps.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/v10com.php?clickkey=468997

Have the Becker installed in the wife's Champ with a Sigtronics intercom. The radio and intercom works great. The sales guy at Northern Lights Avionics recommend installing this way It has been problem free since installation. You can transmit from both seats.

I have not seen a very good track record with Becker products. The coms are so-so, transponders I think we were up to something like 9 out of 12 of them had to go back to FL for service NEW out of the box to get them to work.

My ideal setup would be an SL40 and PM3000 stereo intercom.

The XCOM radio and built in intercom work ok.

Trig now has a 2 1/4" radio out now but I haven't flown with one yet.

(some of the above may be experimental/light sport but I know the SL40 and PM3000 can go in certified planes)

My Becker is awesome. Had three micro air 760 radios, before I finally gave up on them, and switched. I don't use the built in intercom though. I have a pm 501. Works great.

Have had two microair and was extremely happy with both

Steve did you ever hook up the becker? Did you use the built in intercom? I am getting ready to wire it in, any suggestions?

Back