• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baumann Floats

They are only legal on my Tcraft after 9 months on dealing with the feds. You can buy the whole Baumann product line from the owner for $500,000 otherwise don't call looking for any parts. Right from the "horses mouth". They perform just like the straight floats I removed. 95-100mph. I just had the plane up in the arctic where I discovered some unseen(at the purchase) corrosion that made me take them off for some reskinning. They will be back on next season.

Jim

Wipaire was developing 1450's for the LSA market. I haven't heard anything or gotten any updates on them in quite some time and there isn't any updates on their site as to further developments..
I kind of gave up hope last year on these. Didn't hit weight target, so they said. Sounded to me like they gave up on them. I have more hope for Baumann as they already had a great working float.

T craft where was the corrosion? these floats are only a few years old so must have been some real abuse or neglect or.....? You were lucky with 9 months! You did use my approval as data I assume.

Douten,

I have replace both bottom skins from the step on back. 600 rivets. The floats were stored for 4 years with anti freeze in them and that or the wrong sealant caused corrosion right along the keel. When I bought them, I opened up the front compartments an d they were like new. The outsides were like new. All summer they were dry. I went to northern Quebec (1400 it straight north) at the 1st of August and they started to take on water when I stopped for fuel in Little Wabush Lake in Labrador. The paint was keeping them sealed enough to keep afloat. Got home and found blisters in the paint and cleaned them off to find quarter sized holes. It may have been a Problem caused by the previous owner who only had then on one season, about 30 hours.
I got them approved by finding the right DER who new what to do to satisfy the Feds. I am lucky I'm an engineer since I had to redraw all the drawings and flight manual supplement. I started the process last September and got them approved May 1. I really like the floats and I'm glad I'm handy with a drill, forming metal abs riveting.

Jim

Wipaire was developing 1450's for the LSA market. I haven't heard anything or gotten any updates on them in quite some time and there isn't any updates on their site as to further developments..
I just got this reply from Wipaire: Hi Chris, a number of factors have pulled us in different directions, from medical reform to market status/outlook, and we're currently focusing our R&D efforts on our composite line, so the Wipline 1450 is no longer in development. We certainly won't rule out developing a set of floats for this class of aircraft at a future time, but for now, we are making other investments in future products.

You can buy the whole Baumann product line from the owner for $500,000 otherwise don't call looking for any parts. Right from the "horses mouth".
Jim

Isn't there someone around here that is out of work and wanting to help out the flying community?? Seems like an opportunity of a lifetime, I'll pledge half the purchase price from Eaton's money:lol:

Actually, I would buy some stock to see it move forward, as long as the price is in my range:oops:

I just got this reply from Wipaire: Hi Chris, a number of factors have pulled us in different directions, from medical reform to market status/outlook, and we're currently focusing our R&D efforts on our composite line, so the Wipline 1450 is no longer in development. We certainly won't rule out developing a set of floats for this class of aircraft at a future time, but for now, we are making other investments in future products.

I looked them over real good at Kosh 2 years ago. They were lite but I didn't feel that the bottom skins were thick enough. I offered the be the test dummy and take them to the Adirondacks and Maine where my EDO 1320s go every year and see how they held up. No joy

Glenn

Nestincg, I bought a new set of1500's from Joe back in 2008, and put them on an f-21. I sold the airplane in 2010 and I have seen those floats on Barnstormers for about a year now.

Nestincg, I bought a new set of1500's from Joe back in 2008, and put them on an f-21. I sold the airplane in 2010 and I have seen those floats on Barnstormers for about a year now.
If you can find them again, please share the link.

They were mine and they are long gone to a new owner. I found 1500 amphibs that Baumann put on a Tcraft and never certified. Got them approved, installed and took them to the arctic. Great floats but you may never find another set. Give Jack (owner) all call and for $500,000 he'll sell you the whole Baumann operation.

Jim
Tcraft F21
Baumann 1500A
Trickair skis.

Would PK floats be an option? They are now back in business.

Larry
If they would make an amphibian version. There is no good location down here to keep a plane on the water without risk from hail damage.

Chris, are you looking for a set of straight floats until you find Amphibs?

I'd take straight floats. But given the amount of money and work it will take to keep it on the river, it must be a good deal.

Back