• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Beringer gear vs Acme gear

Kecouch

PATRON
Hi Guys, I am looking for some comparison on gear and shocks for a PA 18, I am looking into the new Acme Gear and Shock absorber which is supposed be STC'ed soon against the Beringer Gear with shock absorbers. I believe the only pilots that qualify to answer this are in the experimental category. Price wise the Beringer is more expensive, but not far enough to deter my decision. Has any one have experience with both or found viable argument for pro one or another? Thanks for any help.

Deja Vu

There's a long and very...interesting thread about this very thing if you do a search.

Have been bit by the STC will be approved in July story. (still have over 3 grand of tires and rims sitting in the hanger for past 3 years) If you need certified gear for a cub buy what is out on the market unless you don't mind waiting several years. Think Cato prop/Acme tail spring/31 inch Desser tires on grove rims. The FAA is using current conditions to do pretty much nothing and it is not going to change for a wile. I had better get some java this morning so I am not so grumpy. DENNY

The legacy gear is only fatal if it's on a Carbon Cub. The rest of us dodged a bullet there!

Ha! I remember that thread.

I cannot compare to bungees or Beringer, but I have Acme's on my ground looping legacy death gear CC and they have work flawlessly. They really help on the rough stuff.

What I like about the Acme's is that they will fit the stock gear, no modification necessary. Also, I watch the weight of modifications and the Acme's were not much heavier than the standard bungees/hydro setup. From what I have read about the Berringer, it's a whole different install.

Here is a very long thread on the Beringer from the CC forums: Beringer Alaskan Landing Gear System (cubcrafters.com)

Last edited:
And the poster promoting the Beringer gear groundlooped both his Carbon Cubs with said gear. The one he sold came to my neck of the woods and a very competent instructor I know removed it and put the stock gear back on it. He pushed the wing down to almost the floor while we were standing there with little effort. He said imagine that in a cross wind. He said it was a rodeo.
PXL_20210707_175500453.jpg
I have AOSS on my certified Super Cub and am conciddering the Acme when it gets certified. I maintain several Acme equipped Carbon Cubs and know that they need the weight taken off them at least once a year and the pressure checked and adjusted. AOSS has been maintenance free and way better than bungees as gas as rebound etc.

Attachments

• PXL_20210707_175500453.jpg
    PXL_20210707_175500453.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 112
I will say the Beringer gear is very impressive as to what it will do and it is certified so there's no waiting for an STC. As to how squirrelly it is on the ground in a wind, definitely more than the normal cub gear (the benchmark for good stable gear IMO) but not too extreme. Seems to be about like Citabria gear where you really need to load it fast and hard like just slap the plane down in a wind to get its full weight on the gear. I fly with and talk to the guy who's cub is all over Beringer's marketing material for this gear and he never seems to have trouble in wind and says the gear is very stable. Now that is on Gen 2 shocks as the first generation had more "spring" and would want to lean in a wind or a sharp turn. Apparently the shocks are just about bottomed out when on the ground which is what contributes to stability. The plane looks like a Pilatus Porter taking off where the plane takes off but the tires stay on the ground for a bit while the shocks extend out.

Just a little defense of the Beringer gear. I like the ACME stuff way better and it's a much simpler installation not to mention great product support from ACME but I wouldn't say the Beringer is all bad. Just different.

Back