• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Installing an oil filter adapter, C90-8F in PA-11

Waldo M

Finger Lakes area, western NY.
The A/C is in the original configuration with an oil screen only. I'm thinking of installing the Tempest oil filter adapter (the type that attaches to the crankcase where an oil cooler would attach).

Question 1; Has anyone here done this on a PA-11 or PA-18-95 that could tell me what inside the cowling has to be moved to make it fit?

Question 2; Per the STC, does the oil screen have to be removed?

Thank you in advance to anyone that wants to tackle this one or thinks that this is a bad idea.

All explained. Thank you, Fancypants. I will check out the oil flow direction issue on the -8 case before I pull the trigger.

The filter adapter requires an oil cooler source on the left rear crankcase. If available but absent the cooler assembly it's covered by a 3-bolt triangular pad. See the C-series Overhaul Manual ~pp. 119-120 for oil flow diagrams of the -8 and -12 on.

Gary

Many thanks, Gary. Yes, my engine has the three bolt cover over the oil cooler pad.

It really goes against my religion to add nearly 1.5 pounds of adapter and filler plus about the same in oil to the aircraft weight.

I need to balance that against extending the oil change interval from 25 to 50 hours and an easier oil change.

There is a poor man's oil cooler already installed on the airplane. It is an aluminum box that surrounds the oil screen housing that has a drive tube of 2 inch scatt blowing into it. That requires safety wiring from the screen through a 3/32" hole in the box to the acorn nut every 25 hours. The PA-11 does not have a swing out engine mount. I usually get to the end of my entire vocabulary of cuss words before I finish that job. I need to install the filter adapter or expand my vocabulary.

Also -12 cases that have been converted to -8 even though they have the 3 bolt cover plate, dons dream machines told me the internals are different and the filter won’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not change to 50 hour oil changes just because you have a screen. Oil still has 50 hours and the filter doesn't do anything to make the oil last longer. Also remove the screen. I believe the STC now calls that out. Didn't use to and some never cleaned the screen because it had a filter, you know what the result of that was.

I seem to remember the Tempest filter adapter not working on -8 crankcases due to a difference in the way the oil flows, but don't quote me on that.

1. Left rear baffling does need to be modified, see here for examples: https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?56537-Tempest-TAF-L-oil-filter-on-C90
2. De-soldering the screen is part of the installation instructions

Yep, that oil galley is blocked.
if you have a machinist, look at the o-300 adapter and make the threaded part the same length as the -8.

Gary, it does not work on a -8, only the -12 and higher series due to the accessory case differences.

I would not change to 50 hour oil changes just because you have a screen. Oil still has 50 hours and the filter doesn't do anything to make the oil last longer. Also remove the screen. I believe the STC now calls that out. Didn't use to and some never cleaned the screen because it had a filter, you know what the result of that was.

Yep... know of a Champ that the engine went catastrophic on due to the screen never being removed since it had an oil filter... screen was packed with shavings... after that I checked every airplane I worked on with a filter install to see if the screen had been removed as per the STC instructions and found two more not removed... fortunately they were clean of debris so just removed the screen and put them back together...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back