• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Unported my left tank in a slip

MZ18

MN
I was out flying the other day and decided to descend for some sightseeing, wanted to get down quick so I put in a slip left wing low, had the fuel selector on the left tank...caught me by surprise when the engine started to sputter and lost power. My first thought was possible carb ice so I went through that drill, didn't fix the problem. It didn't occur to me until after the fact that I likely unported the fuel tank. I had approx. 6 gallons in the tank and I was established in the slip for maybe 20-30 seconds, I always assumed I'd be safe from unporting with more than about 1/4 tank. I'm still scratching my head about why the header tank couldn't keep up for that amount of time. I must have had a lot of air in the line at that point because it wouldn't make good power even after a coordinated power-off descent for what seemed like another 15-20 seconds. I selected the right tank and power was reestablished immediately, albeit closer to the trees than was comfortable. After I landed I ran the left tank at 1800rpm for a few minutes and everything was normal. My assumptions were challenged and proven wrong, be wary of your assumptions and be quicker than I was to go for the other tank. Another reason why I'm glad to have two tanks in a 18-95...

Can a slip like you describe force fuel from the full header back into the main tank? Just a question no answer here. You might try it again at altitude and see if it reoccurs.

Gary

I was thinking that the header tank will also have the fuel slide 'down' and away from the out port, and with no fuel in the line pressurizing it.

This is the exact scenario that Jason G. talked about where the header tank is worth having, at least the fuel is super close to the tank, so when you do unport you have a chance of getting fuel back to the carb quickly.

My guess is that the slip was mighty steep?

Header tank support for fuel in level flight versus turns...coordinated turns or slips and skids. Discussion?

GAry

I am not an expert on wing tank vent systems, but have had an 18 quit at reduced power in level coordinated approach. Plenty of fuel in both tanks, and a switch to the opposite tank cured it almost immediately.

Do you have those little “pffft” thingies on your caps?

I've done a million slips on left tank only and never any problems. Even with only 3 or 4gls

Glenn

I've done a million slips on left tank only and never any problems. Even with only 3 or 4gls

Glenn
What configuration do you have Glenn? Dual tanks with header? Headerless? Just curious since I am finishing fabric on my 11EX and will be assembling this summer. I did headerless with dual 18 gal tanks.

What configuration do you have Glenn? Dual tanks with header? Headerless? Just curious since I am finishing fabric on my 11EX and will be assembling this summer. I did headerless with dual 18 gal tanks.

I only have left tank and front header

Glenn

Yes Bob I have vented fuel caps, it wasn't blocked. Glenn I haven't done a million slips but I've done enough and it has never happened to me before which is probably why I didn't consider unporting as the problem in real time. I'm guessing it was just the right combination of left wing down, deck angle, uncoordination, amount of time in the slip, etc. for it to unport. The header tanks failure to keep the engine running is what I'm curious about, and the other thing about this that is striking is that I couldn't get the engine running again from the left tank for a considerable amount of time after the slip was let out. If I had a 1 tank system I would have ended up in the trees. I'm curious if anyone is running a boost pump on a cub type fuel system?

I run very low fuel levels a lot with header tanks and have never had an issue. I can't see the header tank unporting. I would put some more fuel in the right tank and go up and try to recreate that scenario. I take it all the lines and tanks are installed correctly?

I'd investigate left tank venting and check the finger screens.

If temps were below freezing I might suspect ice crystals clogged the screens. If above freezing maybe a little water in the system. Isopropyl will fix either.

Last edited:
I also considered contamination and blockage. I drained the left tank, checked the gascolator screen, and the finger strainer: All was good. Ambient temp was about 60F.

FWIW I'd expect the engine to run the 20-30 seconds with the fuel turned off. It should have run much longer with a functioning header tank.

The header tanks failure to keep the engine running is what I'm curious about, and the other thing about this that is striking is that I couldn't get the engine running again from the left tank for a considerable amount of time after the slip was let out. If I had a 1 tank system I would have ended up in the trees.

.... I take it all the lines and tanks are installed correctly?
Steve has a point. Once the lines get full of air, if there is a high point anywhere the air can form a bubble which is strong enough to oppose letting fuel gravity feed. Sometimes this would require a strong slip in the opposite direction to give the fuel in the tank a high enough head pressure to start flowing.

How/where is the header vented? Up to the right tank and not the left? Vented to both?

Needs to be tested and fixed no doubt. Confirm all the plumbing and vents are correct and unrestricted. Stuff like this does bad and the aftermath is fodder for the scene's investigators.

Gary

Thanks for all the input with troubleshooting tips, I think the next step will be pulling panels and checking vent line from left tank to header. I agree Steve, after I've looked over everything and the weather allows I'm going to see if I can duplicate the scenario overhead the field. I'll report back with findings...

How about draining the affected portion of the fuel system then inspecting and carefully blowing air through the components to clear obstructions? I've had finger screens on my Taylorcraft wing tanks restricted by insect parts. They get in the large forward cap vents apparently. Spiders and their webs won't dissolve. Removing the quick drain, blocking the vents, and blowing through the tank outlet sent them out flying again. Maybe do same for your header and fuel valve then replace any hose splices that look compromised?

Gary

How/where is the header vented? Up to the right tank and not the left? Vented to both?

My header tank is unvented, didn't see the need when I built the S-7S 13 years ago, zero issues. Didn't know it was a thing to vent them, ignorance is bliss!

The left(forward) header is vented to the forward corner of the left fuel tank. The vent line is small,gets little if any flow through it, so it is very prone to corrosion and clogging in older aircraft. That is the first thing I would look at.

Plus the header's air fitting should be upper or at least higher than the fuel fitting(s).

Gary

My header tank is unvented, didn't see the need when I built the S-7S 13 years ago, zero issues. Didn't know it was a thing to vent them, ignorance is bliss!
If there is no place for air to be trapped in the header, then a vent is likely not needed. It all depends on the design of your system.

Question on front Cub header: It's been some years since but aren't the vent and fuel nipples on the same end of the tank? If so would a left slip force fuel into both and maybe slow drainage by filling the air inlet? That assumes the main tank's outlet is unported when partially filled and in a left slip.

Gary

I don't think it has a dedicated vent? Fuel in fuel out, vents up to tank? This is a Pa11 tank

Glenn

If there is no place for air to be trapped in the header, then a vent is likely not needed. It all depends on the design of your system.

What skywagon said....when I run my floorboard mounted fuel transfer pump when refueling out of a 5 gallon jug or bush bag, when the pump starts sucking air I can see the air bubble gurgle up the header tank's sight gauge, up into the wing tanks where it vents out their vents. 2650 hrs TT and no in flight anomalies of any kind.

Subject plane is a PA18-95 with dual tanks and headers. The PA-11 with single left tank originally had none? (http://www.univair.com/content/partcatalog/11PM-flipbook/mobile/index.html#p=30) but I guess one could be added later. My PA-11 had dual tanks and two headers.

Either way the fittings I believe should be one above the other not horizontal so any air when empty can be replaced by fuel and the header fully fueled to capacity. PA-18 fuel system (https://www.univair.com/content/partcatalog/18PM-flipbook/mobile/index.html#p=120) The UNIVAIR front header might be drawn wrong for the outlet location (see 61-63). See Atlee's PA-18 front header tank picture below.

Gary

Attachments

• 3169-1-front-header-tank-750x450_m.png
    3169-1-front-header-tank-750x450_m.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,198
I did a left 180 , non coordinated descending dive towards my brothers dock and 1/2 way thru the turn the engine quit. Switched tanks , engine came to life and averted a crash landing in his yard.
Rebuilt early cub, 24 gallons in each wing. No other issues in 300 hours.
Never forget that incidence.

I don't think it has a dedicated vent? Fuel in fuel out, vents up to tank? This is a Pa11 tank

Glenn
That is the stock 18 front header. It was added to the 11 by a SB. Fuel line on the bottom goes down towards the selector,vent line on the top goes up to the main tank. Atlee front header has pipe fittings as shown in the other picture.

Back