• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

185 Fuel selector issue

Yes thats mine L/B/R and a separate shutoff.

A couple of non aircraft things came up so will hopefully get to it later today or tomorrow.

Was able to get over to the airport and my IA suggested I get the center console cover out so as to get access for the removal of the valve. He had done them before on 172's and 182's and although it was a b..ch he was felt he could do it.

Well it made his and my day when I opened up the plate covering the valve
IMG_0579.jpg

Could not be easier.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 159
Ru ro,

It can not be that easy! Watch for gremlins in step 2;-)

Very glad you are able to get this looked into. Remember to have some plugs to put in place when you remove the valve to keep the fuel lines clean while you have the valve out.

Looking like you might be flying again soon!:lol::lol:

Well I do think I have discovered the problem.
When I looked into the empty tank I could see a piece of AL tubing running spanwise along the bottom of the tank.
It would move fore and aft and was attached to a short section of hose which was connected to AL tubing and exiting the bladder at the front top.
Other end was free to move and had a red valve attached to it via a hose clamp.

Pic right tank sitting on the bottom of tank looking outboard.

58254E3C.jpg

Left tank looking outboard
58255038.jpg

I have Monarch aux tanks and they feed into the mains. We are thinking this might be the check valve from the Monarch tank being attached to a vent/crossover tube.
The valve and short section of tubing has obviously come free from whatever it was attached to.
The left tank has a similar setup except it is at the top of the tank presumably with the valve attached to where is should be.
I did not think the 185 with standard tanks has any crossover tube to the outboard of each tank so maybe its a Monarch thing.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Tom

Attachments

• 58254E3C.jpg
    58254E3C.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 409
  • 58255038.jpg
    58255038.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
It was the ck valve for the vent tube that had been pushed out of the nipple and fell to the bottom of the tank when a new vent tube was installed a few years ago.
Repaired it and hopefully it will work fine now.

Thank you all again for all the help and advice.

Tom

Back