• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-11/J-3 Shock Strut to Cabane Vee Modification

thegroundhog

Hi All - I'm new to the site. Does anyone know if it possible/good idea (legal?) to ream the 3/8" hole to 7/16" in both the upper end of the shock strut and the cabane vee fitting where they mount together? Mine has wallered out a bit so I am trying to determine what to do...

AC 43.13-1B Paragraph 4-60
STEEL AND ALUMINUM FITTINGS.

Steel Fittings. Inspect for the following defects.

Fittings are to be free from scratches, vise and nibbler marks, and sharp bends or edges. A careful examination of the fitting with a medium power (at least 10 power) magnifying glass is acceptable as an inspection.

When repairing aircraft after an accident or in the course of a major overhaul, inspect all highly-stressed main fittings, as set forth in the manufacturer’s instruction manual.

Replace torn, kinked, or cracked fittings.

Elongated or worn bolt holes in fittings, which were designed without bushings, are not to be reamed oversize. Replace such fittings, unless the method of repair is approved by the FAA. Do not fill holes with welding rod. Acceptable methods of repairing elongated or worn bolt holes in landing gear, stabilizer, interplane, or cabane-strut ends are shown in figure 4-25.

AC43.13-1B figure 4-25.png

Attachments

• AC43.13-1B figure 4-25.png
    AC43.13-1B figure 4-25.png
    272 KB · Views: 230
FYI the gross weight increase STC from borer instructs to ream the upper 1/4 inch holes to 5/16 and install a new cabane, so under certain circumstances, reaming of a fitting is legal, but this wouldnt apply to yr particular case

Back