• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2 Piece Nosebowl

twoton

Dassel, MN
I'm rebuilding a PA12 and have a new fiberglass nosebowl to install. My question is it worth splitting the bowl in half for easy removal. The plane is being set up for float operation. What are the pros and cons?

you should have bought the one "randy" makes that stodards sells its already split with the overlap seam...

pro's are you can pop it off without pulling the prop to insp and do front engine things you might drag your feet about otherwise....

I wish I had a split nose bowl. Over the years I've had a number of instances when having one would have saved me time and money. If you can split yours, or if you can get one from Stoddard's, I think you'll be happy with its utility.

We have a STC in the works to split the stock one. Used the system and have it approved on our 0-360A1P Pacer conversion, but the feds want us to do some different testing before they will issue a STC just for the bowl itself...

Brian.

Steve's Aircraft (Brian) said:
We have a STC in the works to split the stock one. Used the system and have it approved on our 0-360A1P Pacer conversion, but the feds want us to do some different testing before they will issue a STC just for the bowl itself...

Brian.

That's good news. Keep us posted!

mike mcs repair said:
you should have bought the one "randy" makes that stodards sells its already split with the overlap seam...

pro's are you can pop it off without pulling the prop to insp and do front engine things you might drag your feet about otherwise....
Mike, who is Randy and where do I see his stuff or parts?
Still slowly working on my "project". I will be needing some cowl components and thought of getting a nose bowl as well. I'd like to know the best source for them. I thought of Clyde Smith Jr for cowling parts, is there others you could recommend?
Thanks,
JD

Grizzley said:
mike mcs repair said:

Mike, who is Randy and where do I see his stuff or parts?
JD

he is just a guy that works for plaschem supply, he make experimental parts in his spare time.. stoddards just sells them, has a cool carbon fiber underseat storage box too...

heres the one of his I am using on this -12
DCAM0064.JPG

Fortysix12 said:
Who makes a certified fiberglass nose bowl for a 12?

none that I can think of, randy was going to try to get this certified, but gave up, they wanted a burn test with whole cowling and engine or something way out of budget for a small guy to get it certified....

Lots of cool stuff coming down the pike that 'randy' is making.

Fiberglass split nosebowl is now a must-have for me. They are lighter than the Piper metal one, and give easy access without the step of pulling the prop. I used to get field approvals to do them, but everybody has them now and I haven't done a field approval on one in years.

PS. Randy is actually the owner of Plaschem Supply in Anchorage, and does cool exp. airplane parts in his spare time when he's not flying, hunting, or schemeing on how to go fly and hunt. He's a member of this site, by the way.

I would like to add to what Dave said. He is probably one of the most help full guys you will ever meet. I haven't seen anything that he can't build with fiberglass, or carbon. :D

I have installed a couple of them and gotten field approvals on them. Kevlar reinforced around the fasteners.

For those of you that have used the split fiberglass nose bowl (like the one from Stoddard's) with the oil cooler scoop, what did you do about being able use an oil cooler cover plate?

- Nut plate on the bowl and make new cover plate?

- Reinforcement on sides of scoop and use standard cooler cover?

Jim

Back