• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

You do the best you can....and walk away

I love the last line of the article, EPA checking for environmental damage.

I didn't figure one less husky had :drinking: any effect on the environment.

From the photo it looks like he ended up short of the sand bar he was headed for and nosed over in the water. Glad he got out okay.

Kind of re-emphasizes the need to practice, practice, practice- picking that touch down point and then get there in the right attitude, configuration and airspeed.

Uh, Guys,

I guess the best feedback I could give on this one is "There but the grace of God go I". Or any of you, for that matter.

It can happen to anyone, including the best of them. This guy was a long time Naval aviator, so it's not like he's a 50 hour novice.

Remember: Next time, the picture could be of your airplane.

Fortunately, nobody was hurt, which is the good news.

MTV

MTV - in the interests of learning from the misfortune of others so that we can maybe avoid that sort of thing in the future, do you happen to know how it is that he ended up short of the sand bar?

In an incident like that it may well be just the way the cards shake out. I'm only curious with a view to future prevention - no disrespect intented to the pilot or his abilities.

Bottom line is that everybody got out okay which as you said is the good news.

We've got Flip Flops' (fka Cuby) 6 page post on wrecks that have happened. I'd like to know more about why they happen so we can try to avoid stuff like that in the future. Guess I need to start reading more NTSB reports.

Gunny,

I don't have that information, and I don't know if a preliminary report is out yet. Those generally only state the obvious, anyway.

I'm with you: Every accident offers some bit of information that we can all use to help us make intelligent decisions in the future.

One thing Paul did state, clearly is that his training in underwater egress (in the Navy) really helped him in getting out of the airplane quickly, even though the water was only chest deep.

I recommend to anyone who flies floats (and those who land on gravel bars) that they take some sort of underwater egress training. There's no doubt that it could save your bacon one day.

Mike

I too read the NTSB Reports but after being involved in a fatal accident I read their reports in a different light. I think some of them are hastily put together and leave out very important facts. Just my 2 cents after being there. :-?

You said it Steve. Having read every thread on your "encounter" I am fearful for all of us. I have never seen such an abuse-of-authority as you are facing.

If it didn't involve at least 150 fatalities and a major air carrier, the NTSB isnt going to spend any time trying to figure out the real reason of the accident.

They are the definition of the term "grand standers".

I was peripherally involved in a fatal accident (not in the airplane, but observed the results and assisted with the private investigation), and became totally disgusted with what the NTSB reported. It was a real travesty, and we (the flying public) learned nothing from this accident. The sad part is that there were things, in my opinion, that we could have learned.

If it's GA, it's pilot error. If it's air carrier, it's pilot error, and maybe Boeing's fault.

The rudder comes off an Airbus, and it's pilot error. Yeah, right.

Sorry, falling into the rant/rave category.

Signing off now for a glass of merlot,

MTV

I am of the understanding that the accident in question involved an engine failure of some sort. Apparently on takeoff, judging from the photo.

MTV

Seeing the accident location is about 20 nm from me, from what I can understand, the engine lost power while enroute and the guy tried to land it on the sand bar.

I had always heard that the NTSB was one of the few indpendent, expert agencies. But I've been reading the reports for two years now. If my hangar collapses and kills me, "pilot failed to hold up building". A friend ground looped in calm winds and even found the tail spring that came off. Nothing doin' bud, pilot error. Don

Back