• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

windshield retainer strips

Glidertow

Jonesboro, Arkansas
I am installing my windshield and trying to reuse the old retainer strips, when I fit it all up there is a gap 1/4 or so along the top of the strip and the windshield, the bottom of the strip look great. Is there a trick to getting rid of this gap other than caulk?

This is one of the hardest things to get right during rebuild. I gave up on a set of 150 hp strips from Univair and used the 95 hp strips from them instead. They were much closer to the right shape even though I was recreating a 150 hp boot cowl. Lots of clecos and slow careful fit up was the answer in my case. I too would like to hear from the experts. Seems that there is a video on this I saw on another thread recently.
Darrel

I would think you need to shrink the top edge some.....

or is your inner strip not pushing it against the outer one(windshield to long/stuffed to deep in front, hence spreading it)

as a side note www.smartflix.com rents the Kent White tinman tech video "those doggone reverses" http://smartflix.com/store/video/131/Those-Doggoned-Reverses-Fairings-Ducktails-and-Saddles for $10 that shows how tho make things like this from scratch.... nice to see how they are made but I would still buy one to start with.....
some great videos on metal work there....

Back